Update from 2006 to 2007

Guest Tarwn

To begin with, I truly did not decide to do this and had no plans to do this for at least a few more months. Apparently while configuring connections through drakconf's "Share Internet Connection" wizard, something decided it would be a good time to start downloading 2007 packages and now i am left with a complete and total mess on my hands. My assumption is that I must have changed my urpmi sources to "current" at some point without realizing it, instead of pointing them directly at the 2006 sources (which I recall doing). Of course, that would mean that current changed at some point so that when drakconf started installing 300+ packages without warning in the background, I started getting parts of a 2007 upgrade.

First problem:

After installing I'm-not-sure-what packages in the background, I have suddenly started getting perl locale warnings on en-US. This is causing problems with urpmi, drakconf, a slew of things during reboot, etc.

Next problem:

I have no login manager. I will need to check but I believe I was using gdm. I get dumped to command line on screen 1 now. StartX works and loads me into KDE.

Next Problem:

Besides locale errors, urpmi gives me an "Out of Memory" error when trying to load justa bout everything. The few times it has worked i get rsync errors

Next problem:

Sendmail has decided to start running on my system and complains frequently about my hostname not being fully qualified. I am assuming turning off the sendmail service will suffice.

Next problem:

Apparently my soundmixer and various other items were lost in the unintended upgrade. So I have lost all sound capability and the mixer itself is disabled.

I have only done minimal searching so far on this because I am more than slightly pissed off that my weekend off just turned into what is probably going to be the start of several weeks of making my perfectly useable system actually useable again. Since I can get into KDE again and can pull up Firefox I can post any log info needed if anyone wants to give me information or links for any of the above problems.

Upgrades are a nightmare. Save your personal settings somewhere safe and do a fresh install. You could spend a long time fixing it. Now is the time to move to 2007, eh?

Upgrades are a nightmare. Save your personal settings somewhere safe and do a fresh install. You could spend a long time fixing it. Now is the time to move to 2007, eh?

FWIW! (against my better judgement) I just used the upgrade option on the 2007 CD's to upgrade from 2006 to 2007. It worked amazingly well with one exception. It totally screwed up "X" (I'm using a Nvidia GEForce MX440 AGP8 video display card). It has taken me two days to finally get "startx" to bring KDE up. I finally Installed a new, clean version of 2007 on another partition of the same machine, copied xorg.conf to my upgraded partition and now I can at least bring up the GUI -- but I can't change resolutions, automatically start "X" (even though inittab is set for runlevel 5) and XFdrake is set for 1280x1024 I'm still stuck with 1024x768 resolution

--- nuff of my problems!!

lxthusdan's suggestion is the best idea, but if you have the H.D. space you might try this:

Do a fresh install of 2007 on a different partition and copy you're /home/"Tarwn"? to the new installation or anywhere else so that you have a backup.

Then do another install of 2007 telling it to upgrade you're 2006 install to a 2007, this might bail you out and you could possibly end up with a useable upgraded from Mandriva 2006 to 2007.

Hope this helps.

Is there any possibility of reverting whatever packages were upgraded to 2006? I had not planned no doing a 2007 upgrade yet as I have another box I was upgradin gthat ran into problems and I wanted to get that one corrected before I moved my main machine to 2007.

As far as finding my settings are concerned...ouch. I think if I grabbed all the home directories, /etc, /var/www, and a few other things I _might_ get back to where I started, but I'm not sure. I haven't made any changes to this box in a while, as it is running several network services and customized apps and hasn't had any issues for a long time...

gah. Even vi is broken. And apparently kmail went down sometime overnight. It bothers me deeply that I am having to post this from my windows box.

Edited by Tarwn

Sounds like you're pretty much "Down for the count"! One other suggestion that you've probably already tried. Do a fresh install of 2006 to the same partition you originally installed to. Make sure you uncheck "format partition blah" and when the package installation screen comes up, leave everything as checked, and finish the installation. This should re-install 2006 leaving all you're previously installed personal software intact, as well as you're home directory.

Good Luck