sound stopped working

Guest graflok

Guest graflok

I have Mandrake 10.1 (KDE) running on a P4 with an Intel type 810 sound card. The sound has been working fine for years but it suddenly went dead just after I tried a Live CD (DreamLinux) though this live CD is not supposed to do anything to my existing installation. If I re-boot with the Live CD the sound does work but not if I boot into 10.1

Adjusting KMix does nothing.

Any ideas where to start sorting this out?

thanks,

graflok

What I normally do first is rename the /etc/asound.state then reboot (tried just relogging in but this didn't work for me). Once logged in a new asound.state should be auto generated & I then have sound. The only time this happens to me is when my system freezes up & I have to switch the power off/on.

HTH

Guest graflok

It seems i've misidentified the source of my problem. My sound is only misbehaving in Firefox. It works otherwise.

It's really a Flash/Firefox issue. I recently updated Flash and that was what caused my sound to stop working in Firefox.

Googling reveals this is a pretty widespread problem. There are a number of solutions suggested but they don't appear to work for everyone. I'm still looking into it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

g

Edited by graflok