USB device mount error: wrong fs type... [solved]

Guest vinko

I never had this problem before: after pluging a USB device, I get error in Konqueror: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock... try dmesg | tail or...

So I tried dmesg | tail and the related output was:

sda: Mode Sense: 07 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 2047815 512-byte hdwr sectors (1048 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 07 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
FAT: Unrecognized mount option "flush" or missing value

Well, I never had a /dev/sda entry in /etc/fstab and everithing worked fine...
so there is no entry in /etc/fstab? if not, then it seems the automounting program (udev or hal, i forget which) is giving an option that it shouldn't be...very odd. might be a bug...

It's most likely something to do with udev/hal or whatever is mounting it, I'm not sure exactly. Otherwise you're looking at editing udev rules, or something with hal. And for me, it's easier just creating the fstab entry ;)

• 3 months later...

Hey folks, can you tell me what the proper FSTAB entry for SDA would be?

I have a 2006 install upgraded to 2007 that I then accidentally got some Cooker stuff in, then upgraded to 2007.1, and I have this problem. I gather that the problem is solved by moving from the 2.6.17.13 to 2.6.17.14 kernel (I have 2.6.17.13-mm-desktop-3mdv), but this has been a really rocky upgrade and I've just now got most of the problems solved and would like to not introduce any new quirks, if possible, or again accidentally wind up on the Cooker track.

http://archives.mandrivalinux.com/cooker/2...02/msg02858.php

Well I know something is broken. But HAL seems to be running:

Seems to be running:

]$ps -aux | grep hal

Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See http://procps.sf.net/faq.html

15 2076 0.0 0.2 4560 2844 ? Ss 11:28 0:00 hald

root 2083 0.0 0.0 2880 988 ? S 11:28 0:00 hald-runner

15 2141 0.0 0.0 1892 784 ? S 11:28 0:00 hald-addon-keyboard: listening on /dev/input/event0

15 2196 0.0 0.0 1888 780 ? S 11:28 0:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket

root 2222 0.0 0.0 2932 932 ? S 11:28 0:03 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/hdc (every 2 sec)

root 2226 0.0 0.0 2936 928 ? S 11:28 0:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sda (every 2 sec)

ed 9203 0.0 0.0 2972 792 pts/5 S+ 20:24 0:00 grep --color hal

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally figured out how to fix the USB mounting problem from a post over at the Mandriva Club Forum.

Mount of USB removable devices keeps failing in 2007.1

Apparently at least some of us folks who upgraded from 2007 (or 2006 in my case, with some elements of 2007) didn't get the latest kernel patch that was necessary to properly mount removable media and need to upgrade their kernel. Here is the command:

urpmi  kernel-source-stripped-latest kernel-latest

uname -r
Linux womb 2.6.17-14mdv #1 SMP Wed May 9 21:11:43 MDT 2007 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+ GNU/Linux

After a reboot I saw some verbiage saying the kernel didn't know which of two Nvidia packages to use and dumped me in to a 'init 3' command prompt. Joy. I edited my xorg.conf to use nv instead of nvidia and was able to install the proper Nvidia packages after a bit of fumbling around. The 'drakx11' command from a root terminal sorted things out, after the Software Management applet of MCC (rpmdrake, I believe it is called) left me at runlevel 3 after rebooting.

This is the third major hassle I've had upgrading from 2006 to 2007.1. Most of the reviews of 2007.1 have been positive, but they have generally been clean installs. I enjoy Mandriva when it is working properly, but the free product is only supported for about a year and a half and the upgrade process is just too bumpy. I really like Mandriva and want it to survive, but I'd have a hard time recommending it over Debian or Ubuntu just because upgrading is so problematic (not that upgrades of those distros are always painless, either). I may give CentOS 5 a try; it is supposed to be supported until 2014 (by which time I'll be well sick of it and ready for a fresh install).

I am using cooker right now and when the nvidia driver install fails mandriva nowautomatically switches to nv. Kernel never used to be updated but since 2007.0 there are these kernel-latest packages (which now also automatically install the source package) which make upgrading a lot easier.

btw: installed upgraded my system like this 10.2rc2->2006->cooker->2007.0->cooker-2007.1->cooker, i know just a little bit about linux, an avarage user and the upgrade had been pretty smooth, all in all, well I did have some X problems like your but not so anymore recently, since it switches to nv....

2006 to 2007 Spring is a three-release upgrade, which is always dicey. So much infrastructure changes in a Linux distro over a year and a half (the period in question) that it's very hard to ensure a clean upgrade. One-release upgrades (2006 -> 2007, 2007 -> 2007 Spring) tend to work better. I've heard a lot of successful reports of 2007 to 2007 Spring upgrades (though they do run into the kernel-not-updated problem, which is a shame, and should be fixed in future).

In general I'd advise only doing one-release upgrades. In fact, for a regular system, I'd probably advise storing /home on a separate partition and doing a fresh install while preserving /home, rather than an update install. That has the highest success rate.