Upgrade problems: 192.168.1.1 OK, but no internet

Guest vinko

For a start: I've been using Linux for several years, yet I don't see myself as a very advanced user (logical consequence of Linux being quite user- and newbie-friendly).

Yesterday I installed quite a few cooker rpms, and (almost) everything went well. I'll try to put it as simple as I can: I have a ADSL line and a router which I access using a wireless card. After the upgrade, I have no access to the internet - I can't access i.e. http://www.google.com, but I still can access router on http://192.168.1.1

First I thought it could be a firewall problem, but it's not activated. This issue is driving me nuts, so please, anyone...

[moved from Networking by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

So it looks like you computers network isw working when you do try google what is the error that the browser display.

Is it a time out message or a host not found message.

If it is a host not found check you DNS settings.

try to go to 66.102.7.99 this is one of the google boxes, if this works but the www.google.com does not then it is surely a DNS problem.

Try adding 192.168.1.1 as a dns server so point it at your router.

OK, now I feel a bit stupid, but hey, aren't we all sometimes ;)

All I had to do in the first place, is to check settings for that connection in Control Center: Get DNS servers from DHCP... Anyway, thank you very much!