kde-3.5.6 released

mmodem

Guest The VarMaster

Hi. Thanks for this great release =) Just installed that.

Are u planning to release additional localization rpms 4 this KDE release?

P.S. Sorry for my english, i'm from Russia.

Edited by The VarMaster

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated KDE and experience from time to time when using 3D effects that the top part of each window (with the minimise, maximise buttons etc) is not present and that applications are also not responding appropriately (no change of focus perhaps?)

What sort of diagnostic info would be useful?

HB

I have updated KDE and experience from time to time when using 3D effects that the top part of each window (with the minimise, maximise buttons etc) is not present and that applications are also not responding appropriately (no change of focus perhaps?)

What sort of diagnostic info would be useful?

HB

What type of 3D effects app are you using?

Beryl or Compiz?

Compiz is considered old compared with beryl, anyway i dont recommend the use of anynoe cause they still arent stable running in mandriva.

• 4 weeks later...

Since in MDE we put files in correct places (in oposition to the mandriva kde packagers), still happens this type of conflicts, so for just uninstall mandriva kdeutils and kdepim that im buinding a new releease of those with that fixed.

Or you can wait that i release them publicly tomorrow, but is much more simple to just uninstall them, you should also take a look at the mde webpage kde install instructions in we advise to first remove mandriva kde before upgrading to kde MDE and there is explained howto do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a very strange situation here.

I fresh installed Mandriva 2007 last weekend. Got it up and running, installed some programs, and then discovered that there was a new version of KDE out. So I urpmi-ed it and it installed no problem and actually fixed a bug that I had.

Here's the weird part. I reinstalled today (with a freshly burned DVD, but it should have been the same as the one I used before) because of some of the other bugs I was having (messed up dependencies and whatnot). I did everything I remembered doing the previous time. Then I went to upgrade KDE to 3.5.6 in the same way I did before and now I'm getting all kinds of dependency errors. It doesn't make sense - I installed the same version of Mandriva twice and got different results each time. I guess I'll have to try it once more and follow the directions to the tee.

It just doesn't make sense that I upgraded KDE 3.5.6 with absolutely no problem before and now I'm getting dependency problems on a fresh install.

*edit* I just remembered that I selected the Development packages in the second install - would that be the cause of the conflicting dependencies when trying to install KDE 3.5.6?

Edited by Scythe

Please show in detail what were the conflicts.

I can't paste it from the terminal because I ran it without X started (besides which I already reinstalled to try it again).

I can tell you this though - I followed the directions on the MDE website. Uninstalled KDE 3.5.4, which told me I couldn't remove some packages due to dependencies. Then I did #urpmi --auto-select and it proceeded to install 148 packages and THEN install KDE 3.5.6 (another 230 MB of packages). After everything downloaded and was prepared, it told me that it needed to upgrade some packages that were dependencies for others. I don't quite remember what it said after that, but I rebooted after KDE "finished" installing.

I logged in after the reboot and got two white terminal boxes that popped up. KDE didn't load at all. Then I reinstalled.

I have to wonder if I might be better off with installing the i586 version instead of the x86_64 edition. My Athlon's architecture should work with the x86_64, but I remember reading about it not being as stable or bugfree as the i586.