home LAN + internet setup

solarian

Use hosts.allow and hosts.deny for this. An example is:

sshd:	 192.168.1.5 ALLOW

this allows ssh access from the ip address above and this would go in /etc/hosts.allow The /etc/hosts.deny, normally has:

ALL:	 ALL:	 DENY

so you set the access rules in /etc/hosts.allow. Then make sure shorewall is allowing incoming for the necessary ports. This is just an example, but you can set even sshd to ALL: if you like to allow all internal machines full access.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the security functions on the wireless for WPA-PSK or even WPA-PSK2 as well

WEP will be simpler to setup initially, although less safe

I kind of like Dlink because they hva/had GPL-licensed routers (dont they?). linksys is fine as well

How about buying a wireless router (2 or 4 RJ45 connection + antennae)

So you have

[ADSL modem]

|

cat 5 cable

|

[wireless router wan port]

[wireless router ethernet port 1] ---------cat5---------Sister

|----------------wireless LAN----------[my laptop]

|--------wireless LAN------------[my pc]

You configure the wireless router to use DHCP so to offer

leases to Sister, laptop, PC, that is each of them

get attributed an IP address 192.168.x.y

You setup wireless router to be 192.168.x.1 where you choose x

Modem should be intelligent enough to understand that setup

Firewall rules will prevent sister from accessing laptop or pc,

but you can authorise Laptop to pc access

Assuming your using Linux, yes. I think some of his other machines might be Windows so the support is there for WPA anyway. Some distros already have wpa_supplicant already installed, and as it is only 600k, it's not a huge package. And it's more secure than WEP.

Thanks all for the valuable input!

As for Linksys Linux support:

As of January 2006, most third-party firmware is no longer compatible with version 5 of both the WRT54G and the WRT54GS. The amount of flash memory in the version 5 devices has been reduced to 2mb, too small for current Linux-based third-party firmware. (See table above for information on identifying the version based on the serial number printed on the bottom of the unit, and on the outside of the shrink-wrapped retail box.)

Some users have succeeded in flashing and running a stripped down but fully functional version of DD-WRT called 'micro' on a version 5 WRT54G.[12][13] An easier method not requiring any disassembly of the device has since been devised for flashing v5-v6 to DD-WRT.[14]

To support third-party firmware, Linksys has re-released the WRT54G v4, under the new model name WRT54GL (the 'L' in this name allegedly stands for 'Linux').

So I'll be buying 'WRT54GL'

One other network related, but a bit different question.

I'd like to control my main pc through laptop over LAN (not internet), something like Remote Desktop, but I want it secure.

Nothing fancy, just to control my sound system.

What do you suggest?

What OS is your main PC using? You can use the X Server to redirect output to another Linux machine over the LAN.

On the machine you want to get control of, you need to set this:

export DISPLAY=192.168.1.5:0.0

and you put the IP of the machine you want to send the application to. Then, on the PC that will receive the app, you do:

xhost 192.168.1.1

where 192.168.1.1 is the machine with the sound system or whatever. Then, you open an ssh window to the sound machine, and with the export variable set, you run the app from the command line, and it will load on your other machine :) a bit like this:

ssh -l username 192.168.1.1
export DISPLAY=192.168.1.5:0.0
appname & (ampersand sends it to background leaving console prompt free for additional input)

I don't know any other remote control apps other than vnc or something similar to that.

I searched around a bit and FreeNX seems very nice: http://freenx.berlios.de/

Any experience with it?

Yep and quite simply its awesome....

Solarian: You need to read what I wrote about your modem....

You need to check (and online forums are the best place) that your actual modem isn't crippled to prevent more than one user/machine... I expect your information will be in Latvian so its best you search ....

If it is then all is not lost BUT you need to consider this before spending money.

If its crippled you will need a NAT router or set up YOUR PC to be a nat router and have 2NIC's (or use the ICS but seriously its crap compared to 2 NICs when NICs cost $10 a piece...

Do a bit of research on NAT.... and check if you will need it or not...

If you do then you can either replace the modem with a router or put a Wifi router which is NAT capable)

Hopefully you don't need to worry but check before buying anything...

Solarian: You need to read what I wrote about your modem....

You need to check (and online forums are the best place) that your actual modem isn't crippled to prevent more than one user/machine... I expect your information will be in Latvian so its best you search ....

Thanks for the advice, but as it is now, two PCs through a switch are connected to the modem - my and my sister's,

so I don't think it'll be a problem to replace the switch with a router and add one more computer through wireless to it.

You might even not need to replace your existing box that manages the internet connection, and save yourself a load of money. Just get a switch if you've ran out of ports, and connect this up.

Too late, I already ordered the router. :D

Even if in the end it ends up I didn't really require it, it'll come as good learning practice, because I've no experience with them.

Laptop and router will arrive on tuesday.