HowTo compile under LM??

qeldroma

me:

Very often, i get a "tar.gz" (or else) archive, which has got some sources and makefiles in it.

BUT THE "make make install" OR "./configure" PROCEDURE MOST TIMES FAILS BECAUSE OF DEPENDENCIES?!

I DID install a LOT OF source-rpms annd the developper part of the installation as base.

Again i installed everything, that might be in conjunction with the missing dependencies.

Mostly, i think again, the problem results from different paths in the make oder configure files, that i have to change, or in different needed compiler versions.

But which paths are different to the standard downloaded sources??

And are the compiler NOT compatible down to the older ones??

Is it possible to summ a description how to install sources under LM and how to edit them for getting a result??

----------------------------------------------------------------------

delboy711:

You should not be installing .src RPMs.

Whenever you run ./configure and it stops due to a missing library you should look at the message. Very often it tells you the name of the package it needs in which case you install the RPM of that package, *and* the equivalent package whose name ends in '-devel' These are the 'development libararies'

Sometimes it simple mentions a file name in which case search for that file name using Mandrake Software Manager and install the RPM and -devel RPM of the appropriate package.

Be careful. Some ./configure files will only issue a warning if a library is missing and then carry on but will compile the application with degraded functionality.

theYinYeti:

delboy711 hat folgendes geschrieben::

++++++++++++

++++++++++++

I don't agree. .src.rpm are a great thing.

Hello qeldroma!

I don't know if this will help you but here is what I do when something is missing:

if it is a file:

urpmf filename

or some substring of the filename: eg I often remove .1, .2 or such, that are after .so in libraries' names.

if it is a program:

urpmq programname

(or a relevant substring)

Then, having found the needed package, I test for it's presence

rpm -q packagename

If the package is there, then somehow the needed file is not found. So I look if the version is high enough, if some link is needed in /usr/lib (such as ln -s somelib.so.1 somelib.so), or if Mandrake has split the package into sub-packages, one of which is not installed.

If the system has not the needed package, I try to find it first in Mandrake's CDs, then in rpmfind.net, or in last resort, in Google.

me:

Oh, i see, i told something missunderstandable..

I DIDN'T install .src.rpm's but -devel.rpm's if somethings missing.

Then i do like told, when some "make install"/"./configure" dependencies are missing:

I look for the file that is missing with the rpmdrake's search and install everything that makes sence that he lists me.

But more then often, he isn't satisfied with versions, or doesn't find something ALTHOUGH it is installed as rpm.

That's why i think, i have to change some paths in the makefiles/etc..

Trying liquid, or older sources (1 year) often results in this.

Or if some apps are only available for redhat or suse and i take NOT the rpms but the source (perhaps sources are somehow depending on the distribution?)

And i must say i HATE urpmi, because it always finds 200 dependencies and isn't able to manage conflicts!

Often i had dependencies to install, and some of them needed different compiler versions than the app, i wanted to install, or more worse, some of the dependencies outclosed each other...

By the way: How do i install a newer rpm version, without using rpm??

(Last time i tried it with rpmdrake, he installed it and after that, i couldn't use rpm any more, because of missing blabla. I had to reinstall LM. ...)

Also, sometimes you have a missing dependancy, correct it, and then get the same result with ./configure. One safe thing to do is reset the configure step

make clean

You can also delete the entire directory and untargz it again.

Here's a good tutorial on compiling

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/index.html#is

theYinYeti:  

delboy711 hat folgendes geschrieben::  

++++++++++++  

++++++++++++  

I don't agree. .src.rpm are a great thing.  

I don't think he was saying they are bad, they are just not what is necesary in this case.

Why don't you go with .src.rpm and install them with urpmi?

Instead of "rpmbuild --rebuild xxxxxx.src.rpm" do a:

"urpmi -s xxxxxxxx.src.rpm"

Will download dependencies, compile and install for you :)

w00t! 8)

• 3 weeks later...

????

I didn't get a "result-rpm" from the src.rpm...

Perhaps there exist different .src.rpms, ones, htat compile to a rpm, the others, that only put the source on the disk?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concerning the thread:

Meanwhile, i am compiling with "./configure" or "make".

Then, if sthg. is missing, i look for the missing thing with "urpmq".

Most times, it finds all packages, that provide the missing files. Then i install the according rpms.

That works now in 99% of causes.