BT Home hub and Mandriva - Linux

sjaglin

Hi all,

I started the new year with upgrading (for free) my connection from 2 to 8MB with BT. I already was a customer and just replied positively to one of there adverts.

With the service came the BT home hub which I am supposed to put instead of my D-link DSL-G604T which I am quite happy with.

So, I though I d give it a try because it seems that the wireless connection is stronger (according to my girlfriend's laptop).

The router/hub comes with only 2 Ethernet sockets but 1 USB a and 1 USB B and a phone socket in case you want to use VOIP.

I had a job to configure internet but eventually found out (ethereal/Wireshark) that the gateway is not 192.168.1.1 like me old routeur but 192.168.1.254.

I then plugged my NAS in the free Ethernet socket and sam4k detected it with no problem. It puts the NAS on 192.168.1.253.

Now I have to configure my network printer server (Edimax) but I have not yet started to look at that!

The feeling is that the routeur is good despite the only 2 Ethernet sockets but is locked on BT and it s not easy to get to the setup (DMZ, Open ports, firewall etc...).

The links I found are :

http://www.littlehome.co.uk/homehub/

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t22917-4.html?

The hub is in fact made by Thompson. it is base on the speedtouch 7G with a chipset bcm6348, whatever that is!

What I would love is to be able to play a bit with the configuration, so far I can acces a series of command lines by typing telnet 192.168.1.254 but I don t know what language that is , it does only respond to help or ? and the menus are not very user friendly.

So, why this post?

well I did not find anywhere how to configure it under Mandriva. so here we are for newbies :

menu -> system -> configuration -> configure your system

<password for supervisor>

-> network and internet ->setup a new internet...

-> Ethernet

<choose your driver>

-> manual config

->choose an IP address like 192.168.1.53 or something

-> choose your gateway and DNS servers as 192.168.1.254

finished. click next till the end and it should all be good

To go to the BT hub's home page just type 192.168.1.254 and there you are!

That 's all. I would welcome feedback on people already using that hub, and hopefully hacking it!

To follow this, note that the BT-hub seems to give automatic IPs between 192.168.1.64 -> 192.168.1.253

It is possible to open ports for Azureus and to configure a dyndns address in the advanced setup, nevertheless to reach

these menu you must (via telnet) reconfigure the users and setup an admin and a superuser. You can then rename all the machines on your network.

Stef

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Hi,

A bit of a progress with the BT Home hub!

First I have managed to do a little drawing of the network so far ...

Let me know if you can see the "cliparts" things on the .txt attached. First, rename the file as .odg then open with openofficeDraw...

Any comments welcome, i am still learning!

Stef

:D

Edited by sjaglin@yahoo.co.uk

Nice clean layout in the diagram. I'm keeping a close eye on your progress as I am expecting one of those boxes this week. Not sure what to expect yet. I can see this thread running a while yet. Good stuff. :thumbs:

Hi!

Here is another nice link for the BT Home Hub :

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehub.html

Stef

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been using the box for a while now and find it quite good. Easy to set up, for what setting up there is, and quite stable. The firewall seems to work as does the talk business. The range is not bad either as I have the box itself in a small bedroom at the front of my house and am running a 'puter on wireless in the kitchen at the back of the house with god knows what in the way and it works fine. Set the wep to run on 128 bit instead of the 64 bit. I know wep is easily cracked but I don't think my neighbour is interested in what I'm doing. All in all not a bad piece of kit especially when it was free.

Hi,

Some news, the code for the BT home hub has been (at last) released. It seems that BT was breaking the regulation on GPL so they had to be threatened and they released it there:

http://www.btyahoo.com/broadband/adhoc_pages/gplcode.html

I hope some brainy people will look into it and crack it!

Stef

:thumbs: