Has anyone got SAMBA to work?

Guest msimon1960

Guest msimon1960

I'm coming over to Mandriva to give it a try.

I've been struggling with Ubuntu (Gnome) and Kubutu (KDE) and trying to get simple networking setup for a small 3 station LAN with a dedicated server. I started with Ubuntu but found Gnome really poorly designed for networking (it didn't work and the interfaces were counter-intuitive and stripped of features). I tried the KDE version and found it much more logically laid out. However, networking still didn't work.

All I want is a common shared area on the server where all three users can do whatever they wish -- create folders, add and delete files, etc. Security is of no concern.

So far, and I'm not kidding, I've spent over a month trying to get the network running. I've reloaded Ubuntu countless times, on different computers and with different NICS. I can connect all the units to the internet just fine. They just won't share with each other.

Has anyone ever got SAMBA to work? I've read all the posts and articles but I've never seen anyone post a message on any of the Ubuntu forums that they've actually been successful is sharing so much as a text file.

Welcome to the board :)

What you must understand about Networking in Linux is that it happens at the system level. Gnome and KDE are mere desktop environments. They might provide you with wizards for menial network configuration, but they have little to do with the workings of it.

SAMBA for example is controlled by a file called smb.conf that must be configured to make it work properly. Your DNS servers are contained in a file called resolv.conf. All the wizards are doing is altering those files for you - and sometimes botching it up.

To help you set up your network we need more information. Have you got the computers communicating yet (can they ping each other)? Is your Internet connection sharing to them properly? Is it just file sharing that you need to get working? Are all the computers using Linux or are some Windows / Mac?

Also check out a tool called Webmin - it allows you to configure the system, including many network options / servers from in a web browser. The ideal is to manipulate the configuration files yourself, but if you must have a GUI, Webmin is the only one that brings everything together in one place... that I know of.

EDIT: Also, if all the computers are Linux, then most of the things you have mentioned can be done with straight SSH connections. Any added file manipulation, folder creation and copying can be done using the SFTP subsystem and SCP command. Networking is an integral part of Linux and most things happen over SSH. SAMBA is only used with Windows machines and is not necessary if everything is Linux.

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, what is Samba. Is it a file sharing server ? Your help is greatly appreciated by anyone who don"t know this matter.

Hi there and welcome, for a def of SAMBA :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_%28software%29

and to ad to what was previously extremely well explained, KDE has a GUI to visualize you samba server and its links, it s called smb4k and is available as a mandriva rpm,

Stef

;)