NVIDIA and MDK 9.1

MottS

If you are too lazy to compile the modules yourself, here is what you have to do:

1) Add Textar MDK 9.1 rpms repository to your rpm database by typing as root: (Note that this is all in one line)

urpmi.addmedia Textar ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.1/rpms/i586 with hdlist.cz

2) Install the nVidia driver by typing

urpmi NVIDIA_GLX NVIDIA_kernel

That's it! The rpm configures everything for yourself.

HTH

MOttS

Guest davebsr

I ALWAYS compile my own nvidia drivers, using src rpms. Otherwise, the system just isn't stable. Next time you do a kernel compile, you have to re-install drivers, (re-compile), etc...but it's the only way to get those nasty drivers to run happily.

It should be noted that, according to Nvidia, the sources will no longer be available after this driver release. (1.0-4349)

From what I understand, that's what they're claiming. I don't mind the concept, and I don't mind using it, but when it doesn't work or you're having probs........give me the .src.rpms. After all, isn't control on the top ten reasons we use linux?

on mandrake linux you may not have seen this (i sure didn't) but from what i've heard (dolson's tutorial) you can make it do this manually. I've also been to the forums on the nvidia website and actual company employees have said that the source is available. I think they have compiled a driver for the stock mdk 9.1 (and redhat 9) kernel and installed that if you haven't modified (recompiled) your kernel. I you have i suspect that you'll see the option that dolson show's on his tutorial. I also installed the drivers while running X (which i don't think is recommended) so that might have something to do with it. To answer your question no, i don't think their installer is compiling a driver for your machine, but it can.

From http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_update

Ease of use installation and deployment of software

NVIDIA Linux Update automatically detects the Linux operating system, kernel type, and CPU on a system and sets up the system for optimal performance and stability. Deploying NVIDIA graphics cards on Linux has never been easier, letting IT managers and end users set up their systems with ease.

Flexible design

Designed to offer users the easiest driver setup, yet powerful enough to allow customized installs. Beginner users will have their graphics card configured and running the latest 3D applications and games with no complications, while power users can use the command line options to customize NVIDIA Linux Update for their environment.

Fully supports all major Linux Operating Systems and CPUs

Includes out of box support for Red Hat Linux, Mandrake and SuSE operating systems and all standard Intel and AMD 32-bit processors. However, if you want to use another Linux distribution, NVIDIA Linux Update will setup and install graphics driver for that environment.

To answer your question no, i don't think their installer is compiling a driver for your machine, but it can.

Exactly. The installer look for your kernel then look on the ftp site to see if there is an already compiled driver that could match your kernel. If that does not match, it compiles one for you.

I use Gentoo. So I unmerged version 41xx and run the installer. Here is the first question:

No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site?  YES NO

After a couple of sec I get:

No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp site; this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for your kernel.  OK

After a couple of sec I get:

ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module

ERROR: Installation has failed.  See /var/log/nvidia-installer.log

So I looked at the file and the installer was complaining about IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH. So I typed as root

export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=true

and rerun the thing once again. The whole thing when without error until:

Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphic Driver for Linux-x86 is now completed.  Please update your XF86config file as appropriate;  See /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX_1.0/README for details.

So I modified the file by myself. I really thought that the installer was smart enough to modify the XF86config file by itself. I'm disapointed really... it is still easier to 'rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_*' for rpm-based distro or 'emerge nvidia-*' for Gentoo since we don't have to press OK, YES .. NO and Toaster ... whatever. Nice job for people that don't know how to compile tho ! For the other, no improvement.

MOTtS

I had similar problems but that's because I didn't have the kernel-source and then after I downloaded with urpmi, it didn't match my kernel. Eventually I updated my kernel so it matched ther kernel source and all worked well.. Still had to modify the XF86Config-4 file myself though..