3d cube [solved]

Electraglider

I have an NV18 GeForce4 MX440 AGP 8x card running on an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with 512 meg ram. I have downloaded and installed the Nvidia 9631 driver and everything seems to be fine. I have 3d desktop enabled and AIGLX selected. I have tried selecting Xgl but all I get with that is a blue screen with the little animation swirling around. While it's fun to watch it's not very gratifying. In addition I am running Mandriva 2007 free version and while and I can't say it was the easiest install, it wasn't any worse than 2006 which was easier than Windoze 2000.

I have installed the drivers from PLF as recommended in another post on this board and I followed the install process to the letter. It seemed to work but when I went to the 3d enable page in MCC AIGLX was unselectable and it was defaulted to Xgl. So I said what the hell, selected it, restarted x and was rewarded once again with the bluescreen, swirly cursor thingy. On the good side, I now know how to get out of that without too much pain.

Now, with the 9631 driver I can run glxgears and I have done the thing with running it from a terminal and it shows all the frame rate stuff. I have also run <glxinfo | grep direct> and it returns (direct rendering: Yes).

I keep reading that my xorg.conf file should have "load glx" lines removed but when I do that glxgears does not run."

Since it seems to matter, here's the pertinent sections of my xorg.conf file. My XF86config file is the same.

# File generated by XFdrake (rev 57713)

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corp."

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig

# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Thu Nov 9 17:55:20 PST 2006

Section "Module"

Load "glx"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

EndSection

Section "Extensions"

Option "Composite" "Enable"

Option "RENDER" "Enable"

EndSection

So anyway, is there something else needed to get the 3d cube on the desktop to render? I noticed there was another posting today for which there hadn't been any replies for the same issue. I have tried all kinds of searches to find a solution to this issue and most of what I have found is " Install the drivers according thus and such procedure, log out, restart x and voila! So far everything but Voila! Any takers?

Thanks

The way it works for me:

install video drivers (which you did).

Select the 3D desk at login (which you also did). Now a window comes up where you can select between AIGLX, XGL and no 3D desktop. If you selected what you want then you get messagebox which instructs you to restart X server. When you've done that you should login to KDE\GNOME and it should start but this time with the 3D features enabled.

Did you do that?

I keep reading that my xorg.conf file should have "load glx" lines removed but when I do that glxgears does not run."
Where ever you read this, ignore it...it's not relevant in your case. You can do 3d desktops with glx enabled.

The way it works for me:

install video drivers (which you did).

Select the 3D desk at login (which you also did). Now a window comes up where you can select between AIGLX, XGL and no 3D desktop. If you selected what you want then you get messagebox which instructs you to restart X server. When you've done that you should login to KDE\GNOME and it should start but this time with the 3D features enabled.

Did you do that?

I did all of the above and as I said, if I select XGL I get nothing but a bluescreen and an animated cursor. When I select AIGLX, restart x and login everything looks fine but I can't tell by looking if 3D features are enabled. I mean it just boots up to a regular desktop. If I go to MCC and drak3d it shows 3d desktop enabled and AIGLX is selected. Should it just boot to a 3d cube desktop or is there a keystroke combination to activate it? What is the indication that 3D desktop is enabled? Is there a welcome screen that says "WELCOME TO 3D DESKTOP!"? I mean glxgears works. Is that how I can tell? If so then maybe my installation just doesn't like the cube.... :unsure:

Thanks for the response. I may just have to live with it as is.. It sounds and from what I've been able to see on the web it looks cool...

Well, I'm now, as I type, working on AIGLX. And I didn't see any "welcome screen" when booting into my Mandriva Free 2007 :P . Although I still don't know how to make 3D cube to spin properly, wobbling windows, animated menues and other stuff seems to work perfectly. The funniest thing is, that on Mandriva 2007 PP I had many problems with drivers for my Radeon x800, but none on the Free-version. The 3D simply started without problems.

The 3D simply started without problems.

Okay, then I suppose there is a very real possibility my hardware doesnt' support the 3d feature or the driver I am using doesn't support the 3d desktop feature with my hardware.

But zibi1981, let me ask you this, if you decide you don't want to work with a 3d cube of your desktop, how do you turn it off? Tell me that :huh:

:dry:

To use the cube you need to press Ctrl+Alt+Left\Right arrow.

You can turn off 3D desktop where you enabled AIGLX\XGL.

Thanks Dex, I'll give that a shot............

Moments later, after a reinstall of the driver that gave the AIGLX option...

No go, the ctrl+Alt+left\right arrows just toggled between my virtual desktops I have enabled. Could be handy anyway.

Thanks for the tip Dex.

Edited by Electraglider

try ctrl+alt+click and hold left mouse button (on the desktop) then move your mouse around.

I got it!!! I ended up installing Beryl. Which was giving me fits at first. It would keep shutting down and I would lose my window decorations but finally I updated my URPMI sources and found a couple of Beryl apps I didn't have installed. I went ahead and installed them and then things started happening. I am also using the 9631 Nvidia drivers, which so far seem to be working fine. Those drivers showed up in one of the URPMI sources. I don't know which ones. I have in my sources, among other things, plf nonfree and plf nonfree backports. What I needed may have been in there. Sorry, I don't have a tendancy to document everything I do. I generally use the shotgun approach which unfortunately leaves me at a loss sometimes as to what I just did that either worked or screwed everything up completely.

Another thing I did which seemed to be the final push to iron things out was to google beryl. I found the project website and there is a very informative wiki on the subject which gives the config file changes to implement. The link to that site is

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Main_Page .

Thanks to all who responded