No problem - just a question

neil-a1000

Whilst this is not actually a problem with my system I am curious as to why this information is being displayed.

I am using a Sitecom wl-113 USB Dongle for wireles networking. All works well. However when I run Harddrake and look at the wireless dongle it tells me I am using the ZD1211rw driver. But I am not. So where is it getting this info from? I have removed all traces (at least I think so) of the zd1211rw driver, its sources and its gz's, yet I still se zd1211rw in harddrake. Any clues?

Secondly, when I first started using the Sitecom under 2006 it was aliased as wlan0 yet under 2007 it is aliased as eth0. Again this is not problem, the system is fully functional, just curious why this has changed?

Neil

Whilst this is not actually a problem with my system I am curious as to why this information is being displayed.

I am using a Sitecom wl-113 USB Dongle for wireles networking. All works well. However when I run Harddrake and look at the wireless dongle it tells me I am using the ZD1211rw driver. But I am not. So where is it getting this info from? I have removed all traces (at least I think so) of the zd1211rw driver, its sources and its gz's, yet I still se zd1211rw in harddrake. Any clues?

not used harddrake in a long time, but it's most likely what harddrake thinks you should use, not what you are using.

Secondly, when I first started using the Sitecom under 2006 it was aliased as wlan0 yet under 2007 it is aliased as eth0. Again this is not problem, the system is fully functional, just curious why this has changed?

plenty of reasons. could be you've changed between the old zd1211 driver and the new zd1211rw.

I've got a feeling you still are using the new zd1211rw driver, the different naming, and harddrake behaviour are consistent enough. It's included by default in kernels >=2.6.18, and all wireless drivers in the kernel tree that use the ieee80211 wireless stack, have ethX naming by default.

To double check, run 'lsmod|grep zd1211' at a command line (without the quotes), and paste the output here. If zd1211rw is listed, then that's what you're using.

James

I have tried the command you listed and got command not found response.

However I have checked through the log files /val/log/messages and on start up I get the following now

Registered driver zd1211

It used to be that I got the above message for both zd1211 and zd1211rw.

I have now gone through the file system and removed all reference to zd1211rw from places such as /usr/src/linux2.6.17 (yes I am using the .17 and not .18) along with /lib/modules

I have even gone through the files in lib/modules and deleted any reference to zd1211rw from within them such as modules.dep etc.

As saiid previously this is not a problem as the whole system works, just a curious nature makes me ask why this happens.

Have I missed some file somewhere? Are the actual drivers located somewhere that I have not looked?

Neil