Apple announce new iPhone

neddie

why are we discussing how proud we are of our countries in a thread about the iPhone?
I don't know, but if it continues, posts will have to be modded (split/edited/etc.) as it's getting dangerously close to qualifying as a political debate. And as we all know, that's only allowed in OTW ;) (translation: get back on topic, please)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are we discussing how proud we are of our countries in a thread about the iPhone?
I don't know, but if it continues, posts will have to be modded (split/edited/etc.) as it's getting dangerously close to qualifying as a political debate. And as we all know, that's only allowed in OTW ;) (translation: get back on topic, please)

No need and as I said ... so far as I was posting.... and to say SoulSe didn't understand his full quote was EXACTLY what I mean't. Basically that the two things (the OTW part) and Off-Topic but not OTW part... basically exactly as SouleSe said...

Anyway... back to my perfect phone... :D the problem being for me summed up in that BBC article by the guy trying to buy a basic phone :D

I want battery life... a week would be a good start... (the apple has a solar thingy so that might be its best point)

I want a good user interface... To me Nokia simply rocks... I never realised how bad some of the others are till I got a Nokia... but again Apple are pretty good at User Interfaces..

I want the best reception and audio quality... and a lot of Noikia's mine included loose out here because they don't use the clam shell design which basically means the mic. is miles from your actual mouth... IK hate the motorola menu's but their clam designs are excellent ..for putting the mic where it should be... a few Nokias do this BUT they are ruined for me by all the extra features I don't want...

What I don't want is a camera, the ability to play music, MMS etc. I know you can ignore the features but I want to go back to Arctic's statement on Gnome...

He just found he was spending too long customising KDE....

Its really a very good point... because you can make the effort not to be distrcted but that just ends up taking effort. and going through menu's you don't want. One great thing about my phone is the user menu which I can use to have what I use... I just wish I could delete the ones I don't like the camera and associated menu's and MMS etc. because every so often Im using the main menu and I go to my MMS inbox instead of the SMS one. Usually because I'm in a hurry so its more unwelcome...

A universal charger is also a pretty big plus as is no proprietry connections... Bluetooth might be useful for a headset or backing up an address book but mainly I'm not interested .. I'd rather have a mini USB connector to be honest.. and the ability to connect this to a bluetooth dongle... (if/when I want)

Internet ? Not really .. I'd prefer my palm... same with music .. I just prefer a seperate player...

Now I have some suggestions I'm surprised noone does....

interoperability and screens ... I just can't get past fact I have a palm with a nice screen and if bluetooth has a use why can't I stick my gadgets together...

My MM player/photo storage device can read CF/SD/etc. and has a tiny screen... it can output to TV and also record directly from video to DivX... and its just a laptop HDD inside...

What amazes me is I can't save from it.... and I need a PC to interface it with my palm or phone or ...

Let me give a scenario... my palm takes SD... my camera CF .. why can't I use my gadget to read from CF then save to SD ? It would only have been a simple menu needed adding... it just lack the actual menu to do it.. and then when watching a video instead of the 1.5" screen watch it on my palm?

The point being that I can see why a device with everything seems attractive... but the reality is I'd rather have seperate but compatible parts...

For instance if your watching a movie on your phone you can't check the address book or take a call... without breaking...and unless you have a bluetooth headset you can't check your address book while talking...

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how embedded linux with a ultra-slim X could be very cool ...so you can browse a item and select which device screen to watch/view/listen to it on.

I guess a similar thing is TV's ... I own a TV ... I haven't used the tuner in years... its also got an inbuilt (and redundant DVD)

Now what would be cool is a control SW that can be seen on any screen... (in the house) so you just connect the video from device X to the video output for device Y... like I wanna watch this movie on my PC screen/TV/projector...

Right now I can do this with about 101 cables and sometimes have to pull cables and connect another ... between different sound systems and stuff this adds endless combinations ... my PC surround is CD on my AMP... and the digital tuner is TAPE 1.... just give me a X like interface and something like eMovix or VDR to control everything from any device... and why not stream the end of the movie to my Palm if Im leaving over the internet?

No need and as I said ... so far as I was posting.... and to say SoulSe didn't understand his full quote was EXACTLY what I mean't. Basically that the two things (the OTW part) and Off-Topic but not OTW part... basically exactly as SouleSe said...

:huh:

Now, this phone might have a better design to it than the iPhone...
Perhaps... the difference is that it's a concept phone that will probably never be built, whereas the iPhone is a reality.

http://www.michaelrobertson.com/archive.php?minute_id=229

And that summarises the iPhone and my thoughts on it very tidily.

He works for SIPphone - which runs on the N80 - he has a vested interest in running down Apple's phone.

I'm a bit disappointed. The people on this board usually use new open source software - or at least try it - before passing judgement on it. Yet there seems to be no problem with writing-off a piece of hardware that isn't even available yet :huh:

Of course, the same can be said for me singing its praises. But I refuse to believe that the new Apple, with its long record of successes will botch this one up. Actually... what do I care, when I get my iPhone I's actually prefer it if I were the only person I knew with one :P

While I agree that he may be biased - he does make some good points.

I just really can't see what the fuss is with the iPhone... What can it do that other devices can't? The physical design certainly isn't very original - so it must be the interface I suppose...

He works for SIPphone - which runs on the N80 - he has a vested interest in running down Apple's phone.

I'm a bit disappointed. The people on this board usually use new open source software - or at least try it - before passing judgement on it. Yet there seems to be no problem with writing-off a piece of hardware that isn't even available yet :huh:

Beside that, he does bring up valid points. There's enough information on the iPhone, that you can pass the judgements he makes -- factual information about the device that isnt going to change. If someone told me there was a new Xorg coming out without keyboard support, I'd tell them it'll be a piece of crap. The same thing applies here, we have information, and the information is big enough to pass a judgement.

You can't deny the functional and factual points that he makes there, no matter how good the interface is on the iPhone, it does not make up the functional and financial deficit.

Of course, the same can be said for me singing its praises. But I refuse to believe that the new Apple, with its long record of successes will botch this one up. Actually... what do I care, when I get my iPhone I's actually prefer it if I were the only person I knew with one :P

I doubt that Apple, with it's long record of failures will succeed with this one. G4 Cube, Newton, almost being driven into bankrupcy.... Apple isnt a flawless wonderchild.

James

Yes sure but you have to ask WHY he has a vested interest in SIP phone...

Like Mark Shuttleworth he's in the very lucky position of not doing this only for money... You have to compare the likes of Jobs and Gates to Shuttleworth and Robinson and I see a rather big philosophical difference.

If you look at Shuttleworth or Robertson they have enough money and seem equally driven but their vision is for an more open world where people chose

I don't think Robertson would have been tempted to work for Apple because the whole concept of the Apple controlled phone just stinks to many of us... its against his philosophy and he's rich enough not to have to do things he doesn't like.

Well you sum it up... firstly its not open source indeed its designed only to run apple approved software and even then this will be limited... no realmedia or flash...

As for trying it I have no intention of ... even if it were given to me Im just not interested but even if I were I see no advantage ...

With a bit of glue and rubber bands I can strap my mp3 player, camera and phone together and although it won't be pretty or have the same sleek interface Im sure Apple will excel at it will do the same things WITHOUT lock-in ...

Yes but for those of us who don't want our choice in phones restricted we have to hope Apple does botch it up...

Its already impossible (or nearly) to buy the phone I want... and taking a pair of pliers, screwdriver and disabling all the stuff I really don't want on my phone voids the warrenty... I can stick a screwdriver through the camera lens or just paint black over it but I can't get rid of the menu that I don't want... and meanwhile I have to pay for functionality that not only do I not want but actively annoy me... drain the battery life etc.

Many (probably most people) don't want phones that take photo's or play music ... they are pushed on us because we can't just but a basic phone... if your into geeky phones then I see why its interesting but for me it will jsut restrict my choice of a basic phone even further.

I doubt that Apple, with it's long record of failures will succeed with this one. G4 Cube, Newton, almost being driven into bankrupcy.... Apple isnt a flawless wonderchild.

James

I never said that they were iphitus. What I said was that they've been on a roll - that is a fact. Apple have hardly messed up at all since Jobs returned. If I went far back with any technology I could find you lists of failures. But Apple have not messed up since around 2000.

I've had about enough of this conversation now. I just find it hard to see anything more than sour grapes in the criticism of the iPhone. I'm looking at the same device and I see something truly innovative. No one seems to grasp what Apple has achieved here, but I guess that means it'll be more accessible to those of us who do and make it a more exclusive device.

I own an HP iPaq 6915 and I'd be hard pressed to find a better Windows Mobile device. Even as an owner of one I am ready to admit that the iPhone kicks the crap out of it. I can't wait to have the world's first truly robust touch screen that I can use my fingers on everyday without it looking like a dog's breakfast and probably breaking after a couple of weeks.

Like I said - Apple owners and Porsche drivers....