Apple announce new iPhone

neddie

I hate MAC with a passion.
Stating this just kills any chance that your comments would be taken seriously :P - but I'll respond to one anyways:
But to say that Mac has a better OS than Linux is a low blow and some fighting words in the Open Source arena! :)
I'd hate to tell you, but from an end-user, ease-of-use perspective, OS X blows the pants off any Linux distribution - if for nothing more than it's simple and intuitive software installation (drag icon into applications, done), something Linux has struggled with since it's beginning. And, at the core, OS X is *nix anyways - anything I can run in Linux, I can run in OS X - especially with projects like darwin ports and fink.

Personally, I don't see why they're fightings words. Both OS's have their positives and negatives, and some people prefer one over the other. So what? It's like distribution wars - in the end, it's just a personal preference.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's obvious we're talking about Apple's Mac, and not your NIC's MAC

I know. I was trying my hand at being a Apple/Mac Zealot. :P

Well then, good first steps. Next, you need an Apple sticker on your cars back windshield (I have one! Came with my iPod!)

Well, it's not a touch screen for one (as in, with your fingers...no stylus), and it's running Windows for another... :P

this article gives a pretty good rundown.

Not really true - I use my fingers all the time... Yes it is running windows, but I can live with that... :P

Yes, you can use your fingers...but on all of the "smart" phones I've seen, 1) the display is really small and 2) any buttons or options i might want to select, i have to use a stylus for - fingers are too big for precise selection. Apparently that's not a problem on this.

But still, everyone is focusing on features (and it has all the features of a smart phone plus a few) when really, as I've stated over and over, it's the design - the manner in which the features are implemented - that really makes this a cool product. And honestly, I think most people want to find fault in it because it's a Mac product - if it was some Linux-based phone with these amazing features, made by some new fangled Linux-based company, the reaction from people around here would be very different.

I once bought a mac and now it sits in the corner of my room collecting dust. Just another useless piece of crap.
Same here. My G4 is pretty useless now... even though it uses Linux as the primary OS now.
I think I am the only person on planet earth who does not have a iPOD?
No, I don't have one either - ad don't plan to buy one anytime.
I'd hate to tell you, but from an end-user, ease-of-use perspective, OS X blows the pants off any Linux distribution
That is your personal opinion and not objectively true in any way. :P For me, OSX sucks a big deal and I thoroughly hate its interface and the damn one-button mouse (and also the expensive 70$ 2-button mouse they released). I had to work with it for a long time and it is crap for what I need to do in my job.

I'd hate to tell you, but from an end-user, ease-of-use perspective, OS X blows the pants off any Linux distribution
That is your personal opinion and not objectively true in any way. :P For me, OSX sucks a big deal and I thoroughly hate its interface and the damn one-button mouse (and also the expensive 70$ 2-button mouse they released). I had to work with it for a long time and it is crap for what I need to do in my job.

The two-button mouse issue is an old, sad argument. Ctrl+Click is very simple (in fact I often used it over a two button mouse), and you can plug any two button USB mouse you want into your Mac and use it.

And it's not just a bias, objective personal opinion. I've taken several human-computer interaction courses, and HCI is a personal interest of mine (I plan to concentrate in it for my Masters and Doctorate degrees). Based on many of the ideas present in HCI, OS X has a well-designed interface. This is more evident in the design of the iPod and the iPhone - but overall, Mac products are more inline with HCI principles than most other hardware and software vendors.

But I'm not surprised you think it sucks, arctic, because honestly, I have yet to hear of an OS that you actually like...you've ripped almost every Linux distro a new one, many times over, and I know you don't like Windows...so, really, what don't you hate? :P

Based on many of the ideas present in HCI, OS X has a well-designed interface.
That means - as a logic consequence - that I am not human. :sad:
But I'm not surprised you think it sucks, arctic, because honestly, I have yet to hear of an OS that you actually like...you've ripped almost every Linux distro a new one, many times over, and I know you don't like Windows...so, really, what don't you hate?
My Canon EOS DSLR camera. :lol:

Wouldn't it be boring if I write one of the typical "This distro is so cool, I like it a lot" reviews? There are tons of them already at OSNews and many people are not interested what works, but things that don't work. Saves them a lot of headaches later... I guess. ;)

Well then, good first steps. Next, you need an Apple sticker on your cars back windshield (I have one! Came with my iPod!)

I'll have to get one. Think it would go good with my Rush Limbaugh sticker. After all he is a big Mac fan too!!!

:D

On a serious note about the mouse deal and HCI. There are so many short-cuts on the keyboard you can learn and use. Me personally I like the two button mouse. My logi two button mouse works great and does the exact same thing in OS X as it does in Linux or MS.

Sorry, but Apple jumping on the Intel bandwagon too late really is kind of a weak argument. The thing is, yea it might have taken Jobs a little longer to decide if he should go with Intel, but he finally did and Apple uses it now. It is pretty much the same O.S. but can just use a different cpu now.

Edited by FX

Based on many of the ideas present in HCI, OS X has a well-designed interface.
That means - as a logic consequence - that I am not human. :sad:
Actually, it probably just means you're a really really odd specimen.

LOL, well no matter how smart you think you are, notice I said "Think" I have met my share of educated idiots. Not to say you are one, but the whole Masters degree and beyond fails to impress some people. Not to start an argument.

Thankfully apple will never hold a large share of the Computer market, no one wants to pay more for the same thing, if you know what I mean?

I must agree that it boils down to personal opinion. I have met with a share of people who have tried Mac and Linux and most prefer Linux over Mac, due to cost and the fact that they don't want a tie with yet another American Company.

Just my .02 cents.