Apple announce new iPhone

neddie

At the MacWorld expo in San Francisco, Apple announced the details of the forthcoming iPhone.

MacRumors article here, iPhone home page here including some very fancy flash demos of the interface.

No buttons, just a touch screen, but it combines features of the iPod with photo management, movie viewing, web browsing, and some slick interfaces to SMS, email and voicemail.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well apparently us Europeans will have to wait until at least Q4 to see this thing. But it looks very cool indeed.

There's also a Slashdot article and a breathless commentary on Steve Jobs' presentation for more info.

No mention of a GPS module though, that would surely integrate well with the camera and the google mapping functions.

Honestly I'm not sure it really matters anymore. They all run off each others towers. I know I don't get charged for it when I do. I still have the same dead spots I had with my local cell service provider. Going to a national plan only changed the fact we don't have to pay for the "extra" nation wide service.

Here's why I think the iPhone will be a good thing for (embedded) Linux.

Mobile Phone companies are very competitive. They generally don't like surprises

like this one. If it can deliver, than the iPhone will be important competition to

the mobile phone maker's own similar products. The iPhone as it is demo-ed right now

looks like it's unlike any other phone. And the patents, although I don't like (software)

patents, will block competitors from making products that are too similar.

So they'll have to come up with a reply (probably already are) and for this they need

something that is highly flexible and full-featured. And Linux certainly meets those

requirements. I doubt WinCE will cut it.

So maybe in the future we might see some Linux-based 'smart' phones that actually look good.

This is much speculation on my part, but I can see it happening. The competitors in the mobile phone

market need to respond in some way.

Edited by Darkelve

So maybe in the future we might see some Linux-based 'smart' phones that actually look good.

This is much speculation on my part, but I can see it happening. The competitors in the mobile phone

market need to respond in some way.

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/45845/Motorola-...x-gsm-voor.html

I think you can understand, for the other Motorola will launch some linux based smart phones

They all run off each others towers.
Not all of them do. Only the ones that have agreements allowing each other to use their towers (although that may be many of them) IIRC. And believe me, I've had coverage where people with other carriers haven't ;)

The cell phone companies are coming down to ATT towers and Verizon towers. ATT had to step up by acquiring Cingular. The game is to offer all communication- cell, land, internet. Welcome to the coming monopoly! B)

I like the iphone, but I still am not certain I want everything in one device like that. I still carry my palm, cell, and laptop. When I upgraded recently, I could have gotten something more conglomerated, but I chose a free razr. I can use it for music, but haven't been inclined to do so as yet.

They just got taken to court for Trademark Infringement.

Cisco owns the name iPhone ...

Woops who make that mistake...

Everyone was pretty much waiting for that to happen. Everyone knew Cisco owned the trademark on iPhone...I can't imagine Apple didn't.