Command-line Help

mdg

Does anybody know of a book or website that gives console commands in a question and answer format?

To clarify, if I wanted to copy a file, I would look under "copy" and there I would find various commands to copy a file or directory or paragraph.

I have "Linux in a Nutshell", but it doesn't help when I don't know the name of the command I need, or that the command even exists.

What usually happens is I just default to the GUI, but I really want to learn command-line stuff

Not offhand. I'd say to try downloading an ebook and using the "find" command in your pdf reader/browser/editor, depending upon the format. There are some useful ones up on my site, and quite a few that I haven't added yet. Just click on the link at the bottom of my post

You can also search your system with apropos, and then use man on commands that you're interested in.

sh-2.05b$ apropos copy | grep files

File::Copy           (3)  - Copy files or filehandles

cp                   (1)  - copy files and directories

cpio                 (1)  - copy files to and from archives

install              (1)  - copy files and set attributes

objcopy              (1)  - copy and translate object files

I piped the output through grep, because there are lots of results for copy, and you were interested in files.