agl, gnome and Mandriva Free

griptypethyne

I have put in a lot of effort trying to get compiz working on gnome. After much googling I formed the opinion that it was not possible with Mandriva Free. I therefore decided to try and get beryl going. I did not succeed but quite by chance discovered that agl was working on gnome :unsure:

I am not entirely sure how I did it but here is my report.

First I installed Mandriva One to confirm that my hardware (Geforce 420) supported agl.

I then went back to Mandriva Free and installed the plf 8774 driver. agl worked on kde but not gnome. Reading the various forums this seems to be every one's experience.

After installing and trying to run beryl my system locked after logon. After three years with Linux I no longer panic and reinstall the system :D Instead I entered <ctl><alt><backspace> to get back to gdm. Sometimes problems are related to one user so I tried logging on as another user with a gnome session. The logon was successful. I opened a window and then noticed it fade in and out. Excitedly I tried <ctrl><alt> -> and the cube rotated :lol2:

I have since carried out some experiments and this is what I have found:

My system freezes if I try and logon to my original user with agl on.

If I logon to the user on which agl works, make sure agl is on, create a new user, re-boot and logon to the new user agl/gnome works.

My conclusion is the agl on gnome works only if the user is created *after* compiz has been installed and agl turned on.

Not sure if that really helps or not. Maybe installing beryl (urpmi) changed a permission and allowed agl to work. Whatever the reason, I can confirm that on Mandriva Free agl does work on gnome.

Sorry if someone has posted the definitive solution and I have missed it.