One terabyte disk drive

mystified

"A Hitachi unit announced plan to deliver what could be the first computer disk drive to store a trillion bytes of data, known as a tetrabyte. That capacity - equal to about 250 hours of high-definition video - is a big step up from the current limit of 750 billion bytes, or gigabytes, for high end drives on the market now." Don Clark, Wall Street Journal for Friday, December 5th.

Dang it, no one laughed at my "war against tera" joke then... :sad:

OK, how about a more serious point then - how is the reliability of a drive affected as it scales to ever more monstrous sizes? Wouldn't an array of smaller ones provide much more resilience to errors etc - rather than losing an entire enormous drive, you might just lose one small replaceable portion if something goes wrong? And access time - wouldn't a single drive of 1 TB be much worse at serving multiple concurrent files/users than a number of smaller parallel ones?

OK, how about a more serious point then - how is the reliability of a drive affected as it scales to ever more monstrous sizes? Wouldn't an array of smaller ones provide much more resilience to errors etc - rather than losing an entire enormous drive, you might just lose one small replaceable portion if something goes wrong? And access time - wouldn't a single drive of 1 TB be much worse at serving multiple concurrent files/users than a number of smaller parallel ones?

Well, obviously these drivers aren't really intended for consumers. They are intended for businesses. And you know what businesses love? RAID arrays ;) - think, several 1TB disks in a RAID array. Huge storage capacity with great performance.

Well, obviously these drivers aren't really intended for consumers. They are intended for businesses. And you know what businesses love? RAID arrays ;) - think, several 1TB disks in a RAID array. Huge storage capacity with great performance.

Well, yes, but (and there is always a but) big RAID arrays are -as it seems - more prone to catastrophic accidents than several smaller drives. At least I get this impression from the many "RAID array broken" threads I see in a lot of forums.

Uh... I didn't even manage to fill a 60 GB drive on my home-machines yet... (I burn my articles and pictures as catalogues onto CDs regulary). What the hell do you guys store on your computers? :blink:

per GB a HD is cheaper than a DVD or CD* and it's faster and less of a hassle, I keep everything om my HD, movies, isos etc. I don't even have a DVD burner, only a CD one, used it about 10 times in over 3 years...

(* yeah, so!? I am dutch, cheap and proud of it :P )

Edited by ffi

What the hell do you guys store on your computers? :blink:
Well, I certainly couldn't use a TB of space (like I said...not for home users...more for businesses). I do, however, use up quite a bit of space with movies, web page back-ups, images (pictures, things i made with gimp, web page images, etc.), mp3's, and mostly games. A lot of the data (outside of games) is also backed up on my external drive, so I have 2-3 copies of every file sometimes.

When you repartition your drives a lot and mess with different OS's, you always gotta have a backup!