My New Website!

ianw1974

Unreadable black on blue on this link

http://linuxsolutions.org/index2.php?optio...mid=3&pop=1

Contact Us:

personal opinion: I like finding the real adress when I have

a my own mailer available (So I can cc the email to myself)

instead of using form

Put email in clear with antispam wording

Took the print icon out for the time being, will take a look at why the text isn't appearing correctly, see if I can get it displayed better.

Lots of space wasted at top of page in blue, 3cm on my PC

even before the blue bend

I didn't design the style sheet, it's a template I'm using from joomlashack. I don't plan on getting into the designing css/html stuff. Just want something that works. I know it's lazy. I have been spending too much time editing my personal family page, that it takes me ages to get anything sorted out. Figured this way, I can get stuff on there quickly and easily with the least amount of effort. If I get brave, I'll try and find out where this is being set and reduce it maybe.

No counter? Is that a choice?

Not a fan of counters as such, each of the FAQ's have visit counters against each time someone opens them up. I have web stats anyway, so I can get a feel for how many people visit - which right now, isn't too many. Maybe I'll put a stats page sometime, that'd be more useful than them counter thingys.

Maybe clarify that you do not do or do consultancy? cf contact page

Maybe clarify whether you acceot contribs

FAQS provided under GPL? other?

I was thinking about the consultancy side of things, but wanted to start it off as providing help to everyone, and maybe I'll add that I offer consultancy as well sometime shortly.

Nifty otherwise

Search engine works! Cool. What does it?

The whole site is using joomla - a content management system. All I have to do is add the stuff I want, FAQ's, etc, etc. It's all stored in a mysql database, and the search will be hitting this database to get the information anyone searches for. Save's me having to write a search page, like I had to do for my own personal family site. :P

And thanks for checking it out, I appreciate all the comments, good and bad, it helps me make it all better.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated the layout because I thought the other one was too plain and didn't look that good. I've even got a proper logo this time!

Hope you all like the new layout:

http://www.linuxsolutions.org

end of shameless website plug :P

I really like the new design. My only suggestion would be not to duplicate the top links (home, news, search, contact us) on the left menu. It feels redundant and could be slightly confusing if people think they are different pages when they obviously aren't ;)

Also, I'd take the "snow" (the white dots) out of the Linux Solutions portion of your logo. It makes the image look like it's corrupted, mostly due to the sharpness of the dots - if they were more blended (think spray paint versus pencil dots) it may look better, but I think it makes the image just a little too busy, so I would leave them out.

Just my thoughts...other than that it's a nice site. I especially like the color scheme.

ian,

If you need any help just pm or email me....

I'm getting pretty good at making my own templates :D and just started writing my own mambots... (1st one yesterday)...

So if you want some help from someone with experience no prob's...

(erm... and I also screwed my mail server again.... well I lost the whole disk on the server so I will swap you :D )

OK will do, incidently, checked your website, so presuming it was on the mail server as well and why the server is down? :unsure:

Hope you get a replacement disk soon :)

I'm not intending to write anything, just customise as and when I need it, or get modules, etc already written.

nice :) as a matter of interest Ian are you taking your RHCE course in the UK or Poland? I ask as I am looking into doing another course & was thinking maybe RHCE but there are so many Companies offering it & not sure who to take up here in the UK.

TIA

OK will do, incidently, checked your website, so presuming it was on the mail server as well and why the server is down? :unsure:

Hope you get a replacement disk soon :)

I'm not intending to write anything, just customise as and when I need it, or get modules, etc already written.

Bought two new disks so its now all on RAID 1 ....

I just didn't get round to doing my stuff yet !! Rather stuff I had for other people!

I guess I should stick a redirect in my apache2.conf for now for the gluten free pages...

nice :) as a matter of interest Ian are you taking your RHCE course in the UK or Poland? I ask as I am looking into doing another course & was thinking maybe RHCE but there are so many Companies offering it & not sure who to take up here in the UK.

TIA

I'm intending to take in Poland, as this is where I am right now. I've no idea who's running the courses in the UK. Main reason is I work in Poland and they're funding the course/exam :P

Bought two new disks so its now all on RAID 1 ....

I just didn't get round to doing my stuff yet !! Rather stuff I had for other people!

I guess I should stick a redirect in my apache2.conf for now for the gluten free pages...

Nice :thumbs: