installing debian on mandriva box

Mandriva disables root logins by default, if you use kdm open /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc and change allowrootlogins to true (not to sure about the exact name of variabe and too lazy to check :unsure: just search for root, can't miss it really)

and yeah root's home directory stays /root

Edited by ffi

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you didn't want to edit the file, and only allow login temporarily, you can do this as well. First, press CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a console prompt, login as root, and then do this:

service dm stop

this will stop the X server running on the normal ALT-F7 key. Then, you can simply, just type:

startx

to get going. At least, that should do the trick. Normally works when your at runlevel 3 anyhow. Or alternatively, instead just type:

init 3

instead of stopping the display manager with the service command, and it'll shut down the X server anyway.

it's kind of getting off track here...

I logged in as root last night, went to mcc, got into the tools and then did the "resize" of /home. It worked great and was very easy...

only problem now is that my kb does not work during booting, so when I get the boot prompt from the debian CD, when I hit enter to boot, it just sits there. No keys work.

Was it working before? What kind of keyboard is it? PS/2? USB? USB are known to have problems, but PS/2 should work perfectly fine. And if USB, you should have a USB to PS/2 convertor for it, so might be best using this just in case it's a USB issue.

yeah, I already thought of that. Yep, its usb. I had a spare kb around here a couple days ago (ps2) but I threw it away. I do have one of those adapter thingies, hope I can find it somewhere... got to go to work now.... will try again this evening. Thanks!

ok, I brought an old ps2 kb home from work. This one works during booting. However, the CD 1 of debian testing keeps failing during the Load Components from CD step.

So I went back to debian, got the net install testing cd image, burned it to CD, and am now booting it. I am at the partitioning step. I chose the first one "guided - use available contiguous free space". Then it found the available 10.5GB that arctic help me resize from mandriva the other day. so far so good.

Now for partitioning, which do I want? I plan to use /home from my mandriva install as discussed above:

1. all files in one partition

2. separate /home

3. separate /home /usr /var and /tmp

thanks!!

ok, I finished the install. The net install is the way to go, everything went fine. I chose "separate home", but I selected a diff user name as arctic said.

grub bootloader installed fine, gives me choice of debian, or the old mandriva. However, if booting into debian, X doesn't work. I grabbed the net install today 1/5/07, so I expected X to work, like arctic said it should...

Well, at least it's installed... I thought it was pretty simple and troublefree.

Edited by null

Sorry, I hve been away because of work for a few days.

If X doesn't work, then read carefully, what error message you get. I guess that you need to install the xserver-xorg module for your graphic card.

apt-get install xserver-xorg-<modulename>

lol, yep you left me hanging in the wind...

haven't really messed with debian after the install. I take it that during the install, apt was set-up (with whatever default repositories, and whatever) ?

edit: since I have an nvidia card, I suppose this is the thing to do:

apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nv

Edited by null

haven't really messed with debian after the install. I take it that during the install, apt was set-up (with whatever default repositories, and whatever) ?
Yes, they are set up by default.
edit: since I have an nvidia card, I suppose this is the thing to do:

apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nv

Correct.

If X doesn't work, then read carefully, what error message you get. I guess that you need to install the xserver-xorg module for your graphic card.

apt-get install xserver-xorg-<modulename>

Ive been away too ...

Haven't done the latest but from memory the netinstall doesn't install ANY X at all.....

I usually just do

apt-get install kde

This then pulls in everything except 1-2 small things... and installs a whole set of xserver-xorg-<modulename> ... most of which you don't need!

It appeared to finish correctly, no errors. However, there is no diff in X not working. Still doesn't work.

dpkg -l |grep X.Org

things to try...

Stop kdm (or gdm etc.)

/etc/init.d/kdm stop

startX from CLI as startx

check error message

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Mandriva disables root logins by default, if you use kdm open /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc and change allowrootlogins to true (not to sure about the exact name of variabe and too lazy to check :unsure: just search for root, can't miss it really)

and yeah root's home directory stays /root

This is pretty much like posting the top 10 ways to commit suicide on a suicide helpline site.

Haven't done the latest but from memory the netinstall doesn't install ANY X at all.....
It does now, if you check the "Desktop System" box in the installer.

First of all, upgrade the system

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

Then reconfigure the Xserver and take a look at the error messages if there are any, as told by Gowator. After that, post the error you got from X in here, so we can take a look at it (use paper and pencil if necessary).

Check your /etc/X11/xorg.config file.

nano /etc/X11/xorg.config

and check if all necessary entries are inlcuded in xorg.conf. Attached you will find my own config-file, so you can compare if all relevant parts are included in your xorg.conf or if there is something missing on your box. Don't forget to check for monitor refresh rates.

what I've done tonight:

1. the update / upgrade / dist-upgrade. all finished ok, no errors.

2. used nano to look at my xorg.conf file. Note: actually its /etc/X11/xorg.conf, not /etc/x11/xorg.config.

there are lines with Driver "kbd", and Driver "mouse" that are causing problems.

my nvidia card and my samsung lcd monitor appear to be identified correctly.

3. also did the dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg from the # prompt. Tried the sudo way, but I guess I'm not in the sudoers file, so I have been reported... :P

some errors after booting are:

Warning, couldn't open module kbd

Warning, couldn't open module mouse

No devices detected

No screens found