Kde and fullscreen

ellianef

Hello,

Is there a mean to start an app fullscreen with a different resolution than the desktop

ie: my desktop is 1024*768 and I would like to start a fullscreen app (without window border) in the same or higher resolution.

Also how could I find the available - supported resolutions for the graphic card and the screen ?

Thanks a lot for help and all my best wishes for the new year.

Right click on the window title bar and go to Advanced>Special Window Settings. In the popup window go to the Geometry tab and tick the Full Screen box and in the menu across from the box change the selection from "Do Not Affect" to "Force" and tick the box to the right of the menu. The next time you start the app, it will start full screen without any window border/title bar no matter what resolution you are in.

You can no longer change the window settings with the mouse so if you want to do that, you just hit Alt-F3 and the menu you get when right clicking on the title bar will reappear. From there you can go into the Advanced window settings and change whatever you want.

Thanks for the answer, it works nice.

Is it possible to select the fullscreen resolution as on MS windows ?

ie: if I run 1024*768 for the desktop, can I open a fullscreen at a higher resolution ?

If yes, how could I find by a little program what resolutions are available for this session and offer the user the choice ?

Thanks.

Edited by ellianef

You can easily change the resolution in kde if that's what you want. There's a kde tool called krandr which is in the Kmenu on my box under System>Configuration>Hardware>Screen Resize and Rotate. When you run it, it will put a little blue rectangle icon in your taskbar at the right end. If you click on that icon, all the available resolutions will be displayed and you can select whatever you want. This tool is also embedded in the kde Control Center under Peripherals>Display. If you have kde set to restore the previous session(default configuration), the icon will be there after rebooting so you will always have it there to change the screen resolution.