New MandrivaUsers Wiki!

tyme

Thank you. You've now immediately drawn interest away from a new feature of our board and to somewhere else. We greatly appreciate it.

:rolleyes:

First Mandriva's wiki will always be more popular no matter how great our wiki will be.

Second it's better to keep up one big wiki instead of several small ones.

Third we are about to become an official Mandriva forum and should start to cooperate with Mandriva. This is a part of the cooperation.

I think our wiki should only contain our FAQ and some other infos specific to this site . Everything else should go to the Mandriva wiki.

You don't have to write there if you don't like it anyway.

I's better to give the info now before a lot of unneeded work is done and a lots of info get duplicated needlessly.

Everything what I wrote is IMHO of course.

Honestly: We cannot incorporate all the information they have there in our new wiki. That is impossible. But we can add e.g. howtos or different approaches on how to solve certain problems, also we can add some information that is not Mandriva specific. I don't see a reason why there should not be two wikis, especially as some information on the Mandriva-wiki is not very easy to understand for newcomers to Linux. That is an area where we can perhaps offer more. And a link from our wiki to the Mandriva-wiki will of course be useful from time to time. No need to completely reinvent the wheel. :)

I was mostly joking...

But if we follow your logic, then this board becomes just as much of a waste. After all, they have their own forums, so why should we duplicate that effort? ;)

We should have our own wiki, and that is the strength of the open source community, not a weakness. ;)

I think cooperation is absolutely about combining our abilities, not eradicating anything. As already said, our approach is different. It needs to be there.

If everyone didn't bother to have a wiki, then there'd only be one wiki. Other people have created wiki's for ease of use for Mandriva, and other stuff. The more there are the better, there is more information to share, and in differing varieties of format, and ease-of-use and the target area, be it newbie or professional.

I fully support our wiki, and will be contributing to it.

I was mostly joking...

But if we follow your logic, then this board becomes just as much of a waste. After all, they have their own forums, so why should we duplicate that effort? ;)

I saw the smily I just thought it deserves some serious answer.

Duplicating infos and duplicating efforts are not the same. Besides we are better. They should close down their forum and acknoledge us as the official Mandriva forum. ;)

I didn't say we shouldn't have our forum. I wrote only our FAQ and site specific infos should go there. And I don't think writing basic infos over and over again is a strength. How many wikis are on the web? A lot. Which is the most used? The biggest Wikipedia. I still think building a big Mandriva wiki is better than maintain two smaller ones.

I still think building a big Mandriva wiki is better than maintain two smaller ones.
Mandriva's wiki appears to have a different goal than ours, judging from it's content.

Also, on the Community page of the their Wiki there was a link to our "old" wiki, the one devries set up. I have just updated it to point to the new one.

I still think building a big Mandriva wiki is better than maintain two smaller ones.
Mandriva's wiki appears to have a different goal than ours, judging from it's content.

Also, on the Community page of the their Wiki there was a link to our "old" wiki, the one devries set up. I have just updated it to point to the new one.

I agree Mandrivas Wiki, like man pages, are way too technical. I am sure expercienced users get a lot of info from them but for me I end up just as baffled and not understanding how to do something after reading them as I did before reading them, although usually a lot more frustrated...

All I know is I paid $30 to get the software to bridge the wiki and the forums so gosh darn it, I wanna keep it :P This is my little baby!

And she's a little darlin', and don't let anyone tell you different ;)

Leo