3d desktop

oldnoob

I have come to the conclusion that mandriva 2007, my hardware and 3d desktop aint going to work together. After installing proprietry driver from ati website for my radeon 9250 which then wouldnt let me start x anymore. (driver worked in 2006 and 10.1). So I uninstalled it and used dkms-ati from the mandriva repositories, ran drakeconfig selected new driver when prompted, logged out and in again, all appears ok. I go to mcc to 3d desktop and my hardware doesnt support 3d. So I do a restart, back to mcc-3d options are available now, but not the preferred choice of aiglx, the second choice only, glx from memory. I select afew plugins wobble, cube etc.., and exit. now I have to log out for changes to take effect. I do so. Upon logging in everything is going dead slow, title bars on windows when they eventually open have vertical lines going through them. So I go to mcc to turn off 3d This takes several minutes only to find out that it is switched off already with a message about my hardware not supporting 3d again! So after another restart, with everything going so slow, if I even try to start mcc it just logs me out after about 5 minutes of inactivity.

I only tried to get 3d working after playing with a FC6 live cd, one mouse click in a preference and it was working fine. no such luck with a mandriva 2007 live cd. I am not so concerned about a 3d desktop, it would have been nice, but all i want is my system back, it is unusable in its current state ( I am writing this from my laptop although i could boot 2006 from my desktop if necessary). Any suggestions on how to restore it would be great otherwise my only idea is to system reinstall which I would like to avoid.

Thanks

I am now starting to believe that my problems with KDE had to do with Mandriva problems with ATI cards (or ATI problems with Mandriva...). In my topic (solved) https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=37672 I really thought it was a problem with Mandriva and KDE, but I believe it's with ATI cards.

Like you, I also tried the 3d and the ATI new drivers (form ATI's site), but that really made Xorg system collapse. Luckily for me it the ATI installation made a back-up of the config file so I was able to return the earlier config file. I don't remember, what was the name of the file, but it was a cofig file that was renamed something like from "config" to "config.old".

This was something I did, after this solved case (link above), so I was very frustrated at that time, until I managed to get the config file back. This of course had to be done without any GUI (KDE or Gnome) and I'm not that confident without the GUI.

So my advice (as a total noob to Linux) is to find whatever file was ammended and try to find a possible back-up of it (if there is any).

Any suggestions on how to restore it

add single to grub boot line to run in single mode (hint: press e)

then once booted in txt mode

su

then drakx11

choose radeon driver (the open source one not fglrx)

I have a 9250 and 3d works fine this way

The 9250 is no longer supported by the ATI driver (read the ati release notes)