How do I stop MCC auto-selecting updates? [solved]

seaeagle

Hi all -

I'm on dial-up, so I don't always want to download every update at the one time. This is especially a nuisance when I want to install just a couple of files, and when I click accept, it says a lot more packages are going to be installed. I then have to cancel & manually untick the ones I don't wanty. Is there any way I can stop rpmdrake from selecting these packages automatically? I'm happy to edit the /usr/sbin/rpmdrake file if it will fix the problem.

Thanks (and Happy New Year to all).

Hi Seaeagle,

I feel your pain about being on dial-up. It's agony knowing that there's all this awesome software out there to try, and then finding out that it's a 200MB download...

From what you're describing, it sounds like MCC is automatically selecting dependencies. I'm not sure if you can get around MCC selecting these automatically, but I would recommend that you don't. Sometimes certain versions of a program will not work unless a particular version of another program installed. You could be lucky and have it work, but this is not always the case. What I used to do was to try to select only the packages that would download in the time I could spend online, including their dependencies. Unfortunately, this means that packages with a lot of deps, or with large deps, inevitably get pushed to the bottom of the pile a lot (e.g. KDE basic packages).

Another thing you can do is download the packages with an FTP program (I like gFTP) and then do your updates from the command line with either urpmi or rpm.

If you really want to install an update without the recommended dependencies, I think you can only do it from the command line, with this:

rpm -U --nodeps /location/of/package/foo.rpm

Hope this helps a little (and that I haven't misunderstood your post after that).

Thanks for the reply alexpank, but dependencies are not the actual problem (though I do find your advice helpful). The problem is that unrelated packages (basically everything which has an updated version) are being selected automatically. As an example, clam-av might have been updated, but I only want to download another program which has no related dependencies. I tick the one that I want, but when I hit accept to start the update, clam-av will appear as one of the rpms that is going to be downloaded. I then have to cancel, do a search for clam-av, and untick it.

I just reinstalled my Mandriva & there are a lot of updates, but I'm happy to leave ones like OpenOffice to another time. So I have to manually untick the ones I don't want. The old way of ticking what you do want to download was much better.

I'm getting around the problem by using old_rpmdrake at the moment, so it's not urgent - just a nuisance.

BTW, a couple of other gripes I have about the new rpmdrake is that it doesn't tell you the file size, and it also doesn't tell which version you currently have installed when it shows an update available. Hopefully that is on the to-do list at Mandriva. :)

Thanks for the reply alexpank, but dependencies are not the actual problem (though I do find your advice helpful). The problem is that unrelated packages (basically everything which has an updated version) are being selected automatically. As an example, clam-av might have been updated, but I only want to download another program which has no related dependencies. I tick the one that I want, but when I hit accept to start the update, clam-av will appear as one of the rpms that is going to be downloaded. I then have to cancel, do a search for clam-av, and untick it.
Ahh, I had a funny feeling that I had the wrong end of the stick. That sure is an annoying problem, though. Why can't these programs just read our minds and do exactly what we want them to, dammit?!

BTW, a couple of other gripes I have about the new rpmdrake is that it doesn't tell you the file size, and it also doesn't tell which version you currently have installed when it shows an update available. Hopefully that is on the to-do list at Mandriva. :)
I hear you on that one, seaeagle. I also hope that they'll bring at least the file size one back.