automount USB devices under mdv2007

TimP

First of all: Happy new year to everybody! :)

...and now for my question...

I have been using Mandriva for quite some time now, but never gained the status of being an expert. Actually I consider myself to be quite a NOOB ;)

I currently run a few systems on 2006: 2 servers and 1 workstation.

Now I'm configuring my girlfriends system. And I thought to download and install 2007 powerpack.

So this what I am using: 2007 powerpack under KDE 3.5

Now the strange thing happens: She owns a nameless USB-mp3-player and a blurtooth USB stick. And the both won't mount or will be discovered by the system at all. And they both work perfectly and are automounted on all my 2006 systems. Server and workstation.

I am configuring hers as a workstation. So no too high security level. HAL-deamon, DBUS and Harddrake sevices up and running. All USB-ports are started up correctly as far as I can tell...

Now I have found some topics about this subject. But all possible solutions given in those won't help.

My question: What did they change??

thank you in advance,

Tim

Happy New Year to you too :D

check to see if hal is running from the terminal with service -s. On my 2007 system HAL dies when I log out and back in again.

yes, it is :(

hald (pid 1980) is running...

Harddrake service was run at boot time

dbus-daemon (pid 3709 1872) is running...

any more suggestions? :)

For the MP3-player I think it is FAT, like most of them. But I am not certain.

But as I said. The weird thing is that mdv2006 doesn't have a problem mounting it and showing its contents... and 2007 does...

Eventhough I think I configured it exactly the same...

Is there a way to see a list of connected USB-devices? So then I at least will know if linux sees the device... :)

Thank you for trying to help me out BTW :D

greetz

in the hardware section of mcc.

Thank you for trying to help me out BTW

No worries, I am trying to get my phone to mount too in cooker, but at least it mounts once, trouble only begins after removing the device and remounting something else or logging out.

Hmmmmz....now it's getting spooky....hahahahaha

I checked the hardware-list in the MCC, like you said...

And now....all of a sudden... It's there...

I didn't change anything.... Is it this unstable nowadays?

So, it sees the hardware: Flashdrive with MP3 player

....but...

It doesn't mount is under /mnt OR /media

so, maybe I should try to mount it manually?

Is it still to be found under: /dev/sda1 ?

Okay, I've tried it every way I know to mount them manually.... no succes...

Strangely enough I noticed that in the hardware-list is shows up as a usb-device, but not under 'block-devices'

So, I think I'm going to hook it up to my 2006 workstation and find out how it is seen by that system...

I was looking at them both... But nowhere to be found...

I tried to see what is diffeent on my 2006-system...and when I connect the MP3-player on there it mounts it directly as a block-device 'sda'... and on 2007 it doesn't... Which daemon is responible for this?

Also I noticed that the 'harddrake-service' is listed in the 2007 but NOT in the 2006...could this be the problem?

greetz

Harddrake ran on my 2006, I think its not an essential service and just detects new hardware but is not involved in automounting new removable media. I had a page with all these services and their function but cant find it anymore.

I am at a loss maybe some else might know something, obly thing I can think of is to try GNOME because it has its own way of automounting stuff.