Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring Alpha1 (Hangzhou)

dexter11

The first alpha of Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring (Hangzhou , Mandriva Linux 2007.1) is out.

You can read the Release Notes to see what changed (not much). Likely it will be an updated 2007.

Returning to a biannual release cycle, the developers of Mandriva released a few days ago an initial alpha build of what will eventually become Mandriva Linux 2007.1:

"Mandriva Linux 2007 Alpha1 (Hangzhou). This alpha version is available via two means. Firstly via the public FTP and HTTP sites mirroring the Mandriva Linux repository. Second, the preferred way, via either the provided One CDs (installable live CDs), or the installation mini CD i586 and x86_64."

The miserly changelog only reveals that the new alpha comes with kernel 2.6.17, Drakxtools 10.4.88, KDE 3.5.5 and GNOME 2.17. Please read the release notes for information about the alpha release. Download the dual-architecture installation CD or the installable "One" live CDs from here: mandriva-free-cooker-Hangzhou-CD.iso (700MB), mandriva-one-cooker-Hangzhou-Gnome-CD.x86_64.iso (666MB), mandriva-one-cooker-Hangzhou-KDE-CD.i586.iso (699MB).

From Distrowatch.

The Distrowatch link points to the Mandriva Free download page(mirror list). The ISOs are in the devel/iso/2007.1 subdir.

source : hup.hu

Maybe if you'd report it the final version could boot and install. Did you report it?

No, but they surely know about it.

Actually you *can* boot the installation CD using an external USB CD-ROM, and proceed.

But on systems with a common IDE/SATA controller (like my Jmicron) and an IDE drive, most installation CD's based on grub I've tried so far fail to initialize the CD-ROM right from the start. The only variety is that some popup a parsing error straightaway (Mandy 2007.1, OpenSuSE 10.2, Fedora 6 live...), while a few others load the kernel and then inform you that there's no installation medium present (Arch Linux 0.8 alpha...).

Edited by scarecrow

Could you explain to me what is going one, Scarecrow. Ever since the 2.6.17 kernels I am having troubles with my drives too, like the root filesystem not being mounted. Everything used to work with the older kernels...

Edited by ffi

Maybe if you'd report it the final version could boot and install. Did you report it?

No, but they surely know about it.

Actually you *can* boot the installation CD using an external USB CD-ROM, and proceed.

But on systems with a common IDE/SATA controller (like my Jmicron) and an IDE drive, most installation CD's based on grub I've tried so far fail to initialize the CD-ROM right from the start. The only variety is that some popup a parsing error straightaway (Mandy 2007.1, OpenSuSE 10.2, Fedora 6 live...), while a few others load the kernel and then inform you that there's no installation medium present (Arch Linux 0.8 alpha...).

Even if they know about it you can vote for it in Bugzilla. Developers care about the common mistakes first. If you don't vote maybe they won't fix it if there are other issuse with more votes.