Help Me to Install Kernel Source

danyal

In a terminal, type uname -a This will tell you which kernel you are using. Then in root, type urpmi kernel-source 2.6.17-5 (or what ever your kernel is). Or, you could go into MCC (system - configuration - configure your computer), software management, then install the kernel source from there.

What graphics card do you have?

Edited by Kieth

I think you are doing unnecessary scrambling and being just panicky.

If you installed Mandriva2007 from CDROM or DVD then the matching kernel-source WILL BE ON THE SAME Cdroms or the DVD.

Use MCC (Mandriva Control Centre) .......Software Management........ Look at installable software and install software packages.

At the top type in kernel-source and click search and it should show up.

If it does not then simply insert your cds or dvd into a drive and then open a console and type in kdesu konqueror enter your root password. When konqueror opens go to /mnt, click on it then on /mnt/cdrom.

Find your way to the RPMs and look for kernel-source and click on it and it should start installing it. There should be no dependency problem with this rpm.

Note:- make sure that the kernel-source has EXACTLY the same version number as the kernel you are using (To see what the kernel is that you are using you can do it simply by opening KDE Control Centre and it will be shown on the opening screen).

Also note the dash - between the words kernel and source, it is critical.

Cheers. John

Typed in teminal and i cant find any things in there my CDS is true becouse i installed full and dont worry my kenel is 2.6.17-5mdv for install the hradware and software i can use the kernel source becouse this isnt installed for me

in other site i watched the reply he sayed you must instal kernel-development in MCC not this name

First, configure your urpmi package manager. Then, type this in console as root:

urpmi kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv

and urpmi will download and install the source from the mirrors. Information how to configure urpmi- HERE

Select all sources, including plf-free and plf-nonfree. Mirrors are your own choice, for Europe I recommend German mirrors.

Buy the DVD ;) and you would even help feed the little children of all the poor and hard working mandriva employees too.

Thanks For this

But i cant buy DVD fo mandrivas becous ilive in iran and its very expensive for me about 200 d$ in my country is 200000 T why i cant use mandriva >> suse too whats mandriva have money why not free

I could send you one if that helps, you just got to tell me where to send it, and which one you want. It will take some time to get there I guess, never sent anything that far before. Sorry you are having trouble.

Also ubuntu or kubuntu will ship you a cd free (not Mandriva of course) if you wanted to try that, it won't be the latest version, but the previous one. Just another option

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

https://shipit.kubuntu.org/

Edited by jagwah

If I say once, I will say it a thousand times,.......The kernel-source2.6.17-5 for the kernel 2.6.17-5 IS ON the same CDROM or DVD sources that you installed Mandriva2007 with.

Mandriva2007 Free CD set or DVD comes complete with kernel-source. I suspect that you are constantly hunting for kernel source instead of kernel-source so it is no wonder you are not getting anywhere.

John.