Video Capture

AussieJohn

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more update: As you've all probably guessed already, I just needed to keep tinkering with the mixer settings. Now it works great, and I just have to figure out how to do the DVD authoring thing.

Best of luck, I've been playing about with two progs. One is kdenlive to put together a series of clips and encode them into dvd files. Along with QdvdAuthor for mastering. As yet I have not succeeded with QdvdAuthor. Kdenlive is a breeze although some features are not fully working yet.

Ugh. Harder than I thought. I've got a very watchable mpeg of the movie, but I can't seem to get a DVD out of it.

Mandvd makes a DVD file structure, and when I click the button to watch what I've created to test it, everything is fine. But I've tried all three ways to make it into a DVD: Making an ISO and runing cdrecord at the command line, telling mandvd to burn it directly and having mandvd launch k3b and burning from there. I even tried making an ISO and cdrecord a couple of times just to be sure. Every time I got a DVD where I could start watching the movie, but then it froze up or went black within about five minutes.

I tried dvdstyler, but it says that all mpeg files are an invalid format. I Googled this and found a number of forums saying to use Avidemux to make the mpeg, but I had already done that. Avidemux even has an "automagic" DVD function to encode mpegs for DVD authoring, but even files created by this are in an invalid format according to dvdstyler. So much for dvdstyler.

So I'm off to try qdvdauthor. Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...

This was somewhat frustrating for me, so I put it on the back burner for a while and tried again tonight. I'm using qdvdauthor and got as far as running the final burn process. It wanted to use something called dvdrecord, which I don't have and could get through urpmi, but it looks an awful lot like cdrecord so I substituted that. It ran all the way through to the record process and then blew up trying to burn the dvd. Since it had generated the .iso file, I opened that up in k3b, but k3b informed me that it was not a usable iso. :( I went back and looked at the directory where it was supposedly building the dvd structure, and it did indeed have VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS subdirectories, but they were empty.

/primalscreamofimpotentrage

Oh dear! I don't understand why you have so much trouble. Here is my entire process. From tv capture to producing a dvd.

mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:input=1:width=768:height=576 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=350:vhq:vqmax=31:keyint=300 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=48 -vf crop=720:540:24:18,pp=lb,scale=384:288 -endpos 01:00:00 -sws 1 -o output.avi tv://

kdenlive cut out all the adverts -> render to mpeg high quality 720 x 576 dvd size.......

Post process with :-
mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf scale=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:aspect=16/9 -ofps 25 -o output.mpg output.mpeg
qdvdauthor to create the dvd  with menus and such. Burn with K3b

It works a treat.

Edited by SilverSurfer60

Well I didn't do the second mencoder command, but shouldn't I still have been able to produce a DVD when I ran qdvdauthor? How important is that step?

I'm getting the capture okay as far as I can tell. I get an avi that I can watch with kmplayer, and qdvdauthor adds it to my project without objection. It's just that when I actually tell qdvdauthor to make the dvd it creates an empty file structure (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS exist but are empty) and an .iso that k3b says is unusable.

I'll give your postprocessing command a whirl and see what shakes out.

Thanks again!

Sorry I forgot you had NTSC. Just alter any sizes to match what you need.

The post process is not essential but I found it gave a better result. I've no idea why you should get empty folders. You can watch the output from qdvdauthor and maybe there will be a clue.

cmd> jpeg2yuv -n 50 -I p -f 29.97 -j "/video/tmp/land/Main Menu VMGM/background.jpg" | mpeg2enc -n n -f 8 -o "/video/tmp/land/Main Menu VMGM/menu.m2v"
cmd> mplex -f 8 -S 0 -M -o "/video/tmp/land/Main Menu VMGM/menu.mpg" "/video/tmp/land/Main Menu VMGM/menu.m2v" "/video/landbt/theme.mp3"
cmd> spumux -m dvd "/video/tmp/land/Main Menu VMGM/menu.xml" < "/video/tmp/land/Main Menu VMGM/menu.mpg" > "/video/tmp/land/Main Menu VMGM_menu.mpg"
cmd> jpeg2yuv -n 50 -I p -f 29.97 -j "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4/background.jpg" | mpeg2enc -n n -f 8 -o "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4/menu.m2v"
cmd> cp /usr/share/qdvdauthor/silence.mp2 "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4/menu.mp2"
cmd> mplex -f 8 -S 0 -M -o "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4/menu.mpg" "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4/menu.m2v" "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4/menu.mp2"
cmd> spumux -m dvd "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4/menu.xml" < "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4/menu.mpg" > "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4_menu.mpg"
cmd> jpeg2yuv -n 50 -I p -f 29.97 -j "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 5-8/background.jpg" | mpeg2enc -n n -f 8 -o "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 5-8/menu.m2v"
cmd> cp /usr/share/qdvdauthor/silence.mp2 "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 5-8/menu.mp2"
cmd> mplex -f 8 -S 0 -M -o "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 5-8/menu.mpg" "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 5-8/menu.m2v" "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 5-8/menu.mp2"
cmd> spumux -m dvd "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 5-8/menu.xml" < "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 5-8/menu.mpg" > "/video/tmp/land/Chapters 5-8_menu.mpg"
cmd> jpeg2yuv -n 50 -I p -f 29.97 -j "/video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/background.jpg" | mpeg2enc -n n -f 8 -o "/video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.m2v"
cmd> cp /usr/share/qdvdauthor/silence.mp2 "/video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.mp2"
cmd> mplex -f 8 -S 0 -M -o "/video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.mpg" "/video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.m2v" "/video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.mp2"
cmd> spumux -m dvd "/video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.xml" < "/video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.mpg" > "/video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12_menu.mpg"
cmd> dvdauthor -x "/video/tmp/land/dvdauthor.xml"

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for MOTION!
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING SSE and MMX for TRANSFORM!
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION!
  INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Parsing & checking input files.
  INFO: [jpeg2yuv] YUV colorspace detected.

INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Starting decompression
  INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Image dimensions are 720x480
  INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Movie frame rate is:  29.970030 frames/second
  INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Non-interlaced/progressive frames.

[b] .......BLAH BLAH BLAH.........[/b]

INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame	44	44 P q=8.00 sum act=1922.74383	
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame	45	45 P q=8.00 sum act=1953.06814	
  INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Processing non-interlaced/interleaved /video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/background.jpg, size 223328
  INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Rescaling color values.
  INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Processing non-interlaced/interleaved /video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/background.jpg, size 223328
  INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Rescaling color values.
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] Signaling last frame = 49
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame	46	46 P q=8.00 sum act=1983.39244	
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame	47	47 P q=8.00 sum act=2013.71675	
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame	48	48 P q=8.00 sum act=2044.04106	
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame	49	49 P q=8.00 sum act=2074.36536	
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] Sequence end inserted
  INFO: [mpeg2enc] Guesstimated final muxed size = 175801

cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/qdvdauthor/silence.mp2': No such file or directory
  INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28 17:50:54 $)
**ERROR: [mplex] Unable to open file /video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.mp2 for reading.
/video/tmp/execute.sh: line 3: /video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.mpg: No such file or directory
DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.6.13.
Build options: gnugetopt magick iconv freetype fribidi
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

INFO: Locale=en_US.UTF-8
INFO: Converting filenames to UTF-8
INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
STAT: Picking VTS 01

STAT: Processing /video/landbt/landbt.mpg...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: attempt to update tv format from ntsc to pal; skipping
STAT: VOBU 16 at 4MB, 1 PGCS
STAT: VOBU 32 at 4MB, 1 PGCS
STAT: VOBU 48 at 7MB, 1 PGCS

[b]...BLAH BLAH BLAH...[/b]

STAT: fixing VOBU at 2652MB (8241/8286, 99%)
STAT: fixing VOBU at 2659MB (8257/8286, 99%)
STAT: fixing VOBU at 2664MB (8273/8286, 99%)
STAT: fixed 8286 VOBUS						 

INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
STAT: Picking VTS 02

STAT: Processing /video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4_menu.mpg...
ERR:  Error opening /video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4_menu.mpg: No such file or directory

("BLAH BLAH BLAH" not actually in original output.)

Edited by javaguy

cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/qdvdauthor/silence.mp2': No such file or directory
  INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28 17:50:54 $)
**ERROR: [mplex] Unable to open file /video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.mp2 for reading.
/video/tmp/execute.sh: line 3: /video/tmp/land/Chapter 9-12/menu.mpg: No such file or directory

The first error which results in the following.

STAT: Processing /video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4_menu.mpg...
ERR:  Error opening /video/tmp/land/Chapters 1-4_menu.mpg: No such file or directory

You would seem to be missing the 'silence.mp2' file. Try a search for it or make one. If I remember correctly I had one but it was in the wrong directory!?

The AUDIO_TS directory on mine is always empty, maybe because I am not processing a separate sound track.