sndconfig RPM for LE2005

satelliteuser083

It all seemed *far* too simple :sad: . Have installed sndconfig via MCC, but now cannot find an entry in a menu or an icon, anywhere. I HAVE located an executable and a script (in /usr/sbin) but trying to run them has no effect i.e. an entry appears in the task-bar along with the egg-timer, but after about 15 seconds the entry disappears. Mysterious. Any further tips, please?

If I remember correctly, sndconfig is a driver so you wouldn't find an icon or a menu listing for it.

What exactly are you expecting ?

When you open MCC........Hardware......Look at and Configure hardware., You look for your audio card and click on it and then use run config tool at the bottom to select your driver. There is no user preference configuration here.

Cheers. John.

There IS another driver offered, however (snd-intel8x0). Don't suppose you happen to know whether it's any good or not, do you?

I'm using the snd-intel8x0 with a SiS7012 on my desktop now... ALSA works great.

As Aussie-John has already noted “Try different ones”, then use the one that works/sounds best.

Thanks, John and Greg. Sound works well under both snd-intel8x0 and i810_audio, but the microphone doesn't - or, at least, I've not been able to test the latter. To do that I need some sound-recorder or another; the only one I can find is the gnome-sound-recorder but this keeps dying when activated (with 'The Application "gnome-sound-recorder" has quit unexpectedly') :huh: . I thought that I'd un-install and then re-install it, but MCC cannot find it under the name 'gnome-sound-recorder' (although its executable is called /usr/bin/gnome-sound-recorder). Any clues on why it dies or what its package-name ACTUALLY may be? Thanks again.

Later:

Whoooa, all systems to standby. I don't know WTH I've done, but suddenly the mic AND Skype work - cannot imagine anything else except changing the audio-driver to 'snd-intel8x0'. Also, ALSA, which previously crashed in System->Configuration->KDE->Sound->Sound system/Hardware, is now running (MCC->System->Services). Quite amazing :unsure: . Trouble is, since I don't know how it happened, I'm scared of changing anything else. Still, big improvement; just need to try to improve the Skype quality, now. Many thanks for all your help.

Edited by satelliteuser083