just Curious

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but I just want to clarify that neither free BSD nor Solaris are Linux distros. They are both "flavours" of Unix - and are very similar to Linux, but are not the same.

I've only got experience of Solaris and Linux and would, personally, always use Linux over Solaris as I just find it easier to get it set up how I like...

Oh, this is like a flame war waiting to happen ;)

To me:....

Linux = more desktop'ish stuff that makes things easier like automount ipods and what not and having aiglx/beryl/xgl/compiz type stuff. Not saying it doesn't make a good server, however the other two make awesome servers too.

*/BSD = Can make a good desktop and now has hal too, just don't have beryl readily available, still can be done... :) http://wikitest.freebsd.org/ModularXorg/ Makes a rock solid server and the ports and os/kernel layer is all intergrated.

Solaris = Can make a good desktop and now Nevada (solaris 11ish/beta) has hal. Solaris 10 and beyond is just flurishing with awesome goodness. I would use it for a Server first B)

One of the things that drives me nuts with Linux is abi/api compatibility. Solairs/BSD you can have an old driver laying around from 1946 and it will work..... Linux and old driver from say 4 months ago, wont...

I know I extended that last bit, but eh not to far off from the truth it seems some times :lol2:

One of my reason for asking is i realy like linux especially Mandriva but the other day when my keyboard refused to respond and i lost the close, minimise and maximise buttons i just thought that was the last straw for me untill such time comes that there is a better version than 2007, so i am looking at freebsd and solaris for the meantime and also Kubuntu and hopefully come back to mandriva when there is a newer more graphically stable release for my pc

If you are fairly new to linux or *nix in general and wanted something out side of Linux, I would go with freebsd, or you can check out desktopbsd or pcbsd. Solaris learning curve might be a bit higher.

Well i would say i was still new to linux been using it since may this year, i have learnt a lot of things in the proccess i have found it annoying though that they have a pretty good OS that keeps failing me (mainly the GUI and possibly a lack of experience i'm trying Kubuntu for a couple of days to see how i get on and when there is a newer version of Mandriva i will be sure to give it another try and as for freebsd i will give that a try for now.

Thanks

This might help, at least what I do with a new freebsd box

http://blog.justinconover.com/2006/12/30/free/

You can also look at this for other stuff:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...&hl=freebsd

Since your a KDE user, you might take a dig at this site too

http://freebsd.kde.org/

You don't have to build from src, I just like doing ports instead of binary's

Maybe you can change your repositories to 2007.1 (change the path from official/2007.0 to devel/2007.1 ), some annoying bugs are fixed (some others still there :sad: ). No close, maximise, minimise buttons sounds like you have no window decorations, this can happen with compiz or beryl if you don't select the right window decoration or do not enable the window decorations plugin.

Edited by ffi

Just in case you are interested, PC-BSD 1.3 was released today

http://www.pcbsd.org/?p=releasenotes

Should make an easier transition into *BSD than say straight into FreeBSD.

PCBSD 1.3 - Release Notes

12-31-06 (Kris Moore)

PC-BSD - Copyright 2006 PC-BSD Software (iXsystems)

--------------------------

Minimum system requirements

Pentium or higher (686)

256MB Ram

4GB of free Hard Drive space (Either partition, or entire disk)

Network card

Sound card

Software Specs

- FreeBSD 6.1

- KDE 3.5.5

Known issues

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first release of PC-BSD which incorporates HAL support for the media

backend. Since HAL on BSD is relatively new, there still may be quirks with its

operation on various hardware. If HAL causes stability options on your system, you

may disable it from the PC-BSD "Services" tool, or by editing /etc/rc.conf manually.

ChangeLog

PCBSD 1.3 - Changelog

12-31-06 (Kris Moore)

--------------------------

* Upgraded system to KDE 3.5.5

* Fixed issues with connecting to CUPS for printing

* Added HAL support for default media backend

* Added ability to user-mount disks in HAL

* Cleaned up Konquerors default look-n-feel for web browsing

* Fixed issues with toolbar colors and sidebar colors

* Added support for running Flash content on native BSD browsers

* Added more options to services menu to disable / enable system services