Apple iPod Nano

Jas

So i thought i would buy my son an iPod for christmas, get it home and decide to load some music on it. plug it in... X crashes... reboot the machine, plug it back in, do a Google search, and find out i should use GtkPod... so i install GtkPod, soon as i go to iPod, the program crashes, i reopen it, soon as i click "Load iPod", program crashes... so i try the other alternative, Banshee, ANY change i make at ALL to any songs, whether i add or delete, does not take place, nothing happens at all, so then I try amaroK, and all i get is errors about it being a read only file system.

HOW PATHETIC! EVERY person you know these days has a bloody damn iPod, why the DAMN HELL does Linux not have proper support for an iPod? i find this ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING... and quite SAD, VERY VERY sad indeed. the fact that a user has to go to such extreme lengths to get his or her damned iPod to have music on it, how very sad. NONE of the applications mentioned work, searched google high and low, to find jack all.

..... Pathetic. Very disappointed.

Hmm, thanks for the quick reply, I just rebooted into Windows because the iPod was showing the "Use iTunes to repair" message, and restored the firmware/software on it, rebooted right back into Mandy.. and now I'm not getting anything, the dmesg shows it, but its not being mounted anymore, also, whilst in Windows, i noted that the iPod was using "Windows" as the file system... do I need to convert that to FAT? I cannot find decent instructions anywhere, if there is a somewhat simple solution i would like to know.. if it requires building a time machine, I will just return it..

usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
 Vendor: Apple	 Model: iPod			  Rev: 1.62
 Type:   Direct-Access					  ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sda: 1982464 2048-byte hdwr sectors (4060 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 68 00 00 08
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 1982464 2048-byte hdwr sectors (4060 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 68 00 00 08
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1 sda2
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

There appears to be nothing at /dev/sda

[root@localhost Desktop]# /dev/sda
bash: /dev/sda: Permission denied

[root@localhost Desktop]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
 Vendor: Apple	Model: iPod			 Rev: 1.62
 Type:   Direct-Access					ANSI SCSI revision: 02

No idea where to go from here...

Edited by Jas

HOW PATHETIC! EVERY person you know these days has a bloody damn iPod, why the DAMN HELL does Linux not have proper support for an iPod? i find this ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING... and quite SAD, VERY VERY sad indeed. the fact that a user has to go to such extreme lengths to get his or her damned iPod to have music on it, how very sad. NONE of the applications mentioned work, searched google high and low, to find jack all.

..... Pathetic. Very disappointed.

Linux does have support... excellent support, mandriva just can't implement anything for crap. Anyway, don't be so negative -- you'll be lucky to get any assistance with post like this. We're just users, go complain to developers and file bugs when things don't work rather than whine here.

Everything looks fine, try actually using gtkpod and post the error messages you get, run it from the console if you don't get any.

Edited by iphitus