Out of Wireless Options - Need Help

kfoss

Hi,

I'm turning to the wealth of information and experience I always go to in those times when I am out of options.

Here's the situation. I'm running 2006.0 on a small Epia-clone. I have the system working well touchscreen, sound, XVMC, and all. During the process, I had to upgrade the kernel from the default 2.6.12 to 2.6.17 to get over a bug in the kernel related to USB.

I've gotten wireless working up to a point, though. I've been using an Airlink 101 AWLL3026 USB adapter that uses the ZD1211 drivers that are widely used. The device works for a while then I get a Kernel Oops. The output is pretty benign without giving any clear direction to the source of the problem. I've recompiled the kernel, used the last 5 versions of the zd1211 driver and I still get the same result, Oops.

Now I also have DWL-G122 dongle from DLink. This device has similar problems to others found on the forum where the device seems to work but doesn't actually transmit or receive. I have tried a couple of versions of these drivers and followed multiple HOWTOs and gotten nothing.

Now I've even tried using NDISWRAPPER with the G122. The problem is now that I have the drivers for the G122 and the ZD1211 installed, the system always loads the kernel module.

How do I get the zd1211 or rt2570 module to not load upon startup so the ndiswrapper can work?

Thanks.

To get rid of ndiswrapper drivers, go to the /etc/ndiswrapper directory and delete the ones you don't want.

As for your kernel, compiling a kernel under Mandriva 2006 is near impossible - I know, I've been there and done that. See my recent post about Mandriva 2007 and kernel compilation - works with the new version.

There will be other problems that you don't know about with this kernel, but if most things seem to be working you can always leave it. Maybe it just didn't work for me.

If one of your wireless cards was ipw stuff then look for ipw services and stop these. Also, look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and there will be files like ifcfg-xxxx. If you remember what interface your card was taking, then you can remove the corresponding ifcfg-xxxx file.

I have an Intel ipw3945 which corresponds to eth2. When I used ndiswrapper, it was always ifcfg-wlan0. But these can vary based on your system setup. Also check in /etc/modprobe.conf for aliases that might be pointing to rt2570 and remove these as well so that they don't attempt to activate. And maybe check /etc/modprobe.preload too.

You should check the serialmonkey forums for your DWL-G122. I have that device too and it works. But I use it on an older system (before the Intel IEEE80211 stack that was included in the kernel about a year ago). They are constantly changing the development for the newer stuff thats included in the kernel. Check this:

t2x00 beta status page

History

Since Ralink released their RT2400 and RT2500 drivers under the GPL, it became apparent that to stabilize the driver for all users and configurations, more was needed then simple bugfixes.

Because of this the decision was made to completely rewrite the driver which is capable of supporting more architectures and devices with less resources. Because the source code of the individual drivers rt2400 and rt2500 looked very similar the decision was made to create a unified driver. With a single source tree support would be created for rt2400 and rt2500 both pci as usb.

The first attempt to create this unified driver was the rt2x00_alpha tree. This alpha tree gives some first impressions on the planned design of the final module, but getting it to work is proofing to be very difficult.

Since a few months some kernel developers have started the development of the generic 802.11 stack. By using this stack development of the rt2x00 module should be simplified. But by making use of the 802.11 stack, the rt2x00 module must again be redesigned. Which gives an opening for everybody to discuss new plans and features.

After working with the IPW ieee80211 stack which was merged into the kernel, the rt2x00 team decided to move over to the newer DeviceScape ieee80211 stack since that should deliver better support for non-firmware wireless devices. The last release with the IPW ieee80211 stack was rt2x00 Beta3, the first release with the DeviceScape ieee80211 stack will be rt2x00 Beta4.

On this page the new features, a design plan and a development plan for rt2x00 Beta published.

So you need to figure out which stack you are using and which version you need following their instruction on the forum correctly. If it doesn't work then I suggest you ask there. They are the experts you need to get that dongle going...

A native driver is still alot better then using ndiswrapper... my rt2570 even supports monitor mode and packet injection!

• 2 weeks later...

I also use the ZD1211 chipset with a Sitecom USB dongle.

Under 2006 I had some problems, however under 2007 I found it quite easy.

Firstly try installing the ZD1211 DKMS from the Repo's then check for the zd1211 drivers and firmware from the Repo's also.

Next search for the ZD1211 firmware on sourceforge and copy those files onto your system within the specified folder.

Once you have done this re-boot the machine and see what happens.

Personally this solved my problems with this chipset. I simply used MCC to setup the networking and hey presto I have wireless.

Under 2006 I had to use the web drivers for this and areccompiled kernel.

Let me know how you get on.

Neil