Where to buy Linux-ready system?

emh

If you are talking about barebone system.. actually any kind of system can be made to work with linux.. If you are talking about a linux- preinstalled barebone system, that's a lot tougher, the only one I know is the cheapo microtel Walmart.com systems.

I think the topicstarter means a completely built system (fully assembled) without any OS (basically, without Windows) so as to avoid the so-called MS-tax.

I fully agree with this line of thought.

You have to check out local retailers; if you would be in Switzerland I could give you some links...

Basically, check for vendors of parts that also sell completely built systems in your neighbourhood.

In case of doubt of linux support for some parts, check the web; if you still can't find info/reassurance, ask on the hardware subforum here.

BTW I recently saw that you can buy laptops here without any system (mswin) installed!

Things are going the right way! (For desktops I build my own anyway..)

I was actually referring to systems with only motherboards, processor, and memory installed. I just wanted to see if there were motherboards that I should avoid or ones I should steer myself towards. Sound and video aren't an issue, I have a sound and video cards that I will be using instead of what's on board.

Although I am looking into prebuilt and configured systems as well.