Mandrake 9.1 RC3?

DragonMage

Well.. I just found this out from pclinuxonline. It seems that some mirrors already received RC3 of Mandrake 9.1 isos. Maybe it's like last time where they send RC3 until most of the mirrors have it.. then rename the iso to Final or something..

Here's a link

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?n...order=0&thold=0

Download or wait until real Final isos?

Well i wouldn't mind if it was another RC release. It would be great to get the bugs fully worked out for a final(within reason of course).

Still there is probably a lot of pressure on them to get the final out the door as soon as possible.

But nothing could be worse if this release has any serious bugs in Mandrakesoft's programs in particular. Justifiably, the expectations are unusually high if they are to get themselves out of bankruptcy court. A less than adequate release could finish them off with so many additional eyes trained on their every move. I hope for all our sakes that for once they get it right.

Counterspy

Just got done installing rc-3 or whatever it really is and I am happy to report that the installation was absolutely flawless. I'm very impressed as past mandrake installs have always been somewhat buggy, mostly little annoyances. Well all those stupid little annoyances appear to be gone.

Ok, pmpatrick, what does it say when you see the login screen.. does it say mandrake 9.1 (bamboo) or something else?

I mean.. cooker is frozen for about a few days already.. so I believe packagewise, I think this is 9.1 final

According to http://www.redhat.com/mktg/rh9iso/ redhat's next release is going out March 31 for paid subscribers only. Also, note that redhat is calling it redhat 9 instead of redhat 8.1. Obviously, lots of marketing tricks are being employed.

So I guess that mandrake's RC3 may well be the final since they hardly have any time left. What they should do is allow paying customers to download it first starting Feb 26. Then they may have an edge over redhat. Free ISO downloads can wait till start of April. But looking at ftp://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandrake-iso/i586/ it seems they have already made the mistake (assuming RC3 = final).

checked the login prompt after install (i don't go straight into GUI anymore)

it reads, and i quote: Mandrake Linux release 9.1 (Bamboo)

seems like the final to me.

COOL ! .. cd1 and 2 are finished. Still waiting for the third to finish. I'll be with you in an hour or two :-D

MOTtS

i did an upgrade, not planning on a full re-install until i get my powerpack (which i still need to pre-order).

mainly because configuring it to my liking takes more time than i really have right now...school and all that.

I finished downloading. Now, I just need 3 cd's to burn it onto. BTW, is the 3rd cd for international support like in 9.0? Or is it filled with useful packages?