Deleting distro copy from HD

bvdp

When I installed 2007 from the single DVD (guess it doesn't make any difference if it is a DVD or a bunch of CDs) I told the isntaller to copy the files to the HD.

Now, I've probably gotten all I want off the distro and my HD is starting to fill a bit. So, I thought I'd delete the DVD copy off the HD.

2 problems ... I don't know where the copy is stored ... and after I delete it I have no idea how to tell the rpm manager that it is gone and it should now prompt for the DVD, etc.

Thanks.

The other thing you can do is go to the Control Centre > Software Management > Select where packages are downloaded from..., and then select the installation disc. Clicking Edit... will tell you where it has been put (probably where ianw said it would be). You can then use your favourite method to remove the copy, and click Remove in the Control Centre window to stop your computer from looking there.

Then all you have to do is use the Control Centre or urpmi to add the DVD as a removable source.

The other thing you can do is go to the Control Centre > Software Management > Select where packages are downloaded from..., and then select the installation disc. Clicking Edit... will tell you where it has been put (probably where ianw said it would be). You can then use your favourite method to remove the copy, and click Remove in the Control Centre window to stop your computer from looking there.

Then all you have to do is use the Control Centre or urpmi to add the DVD as a removable source.

Thanks guys. Yes, the files were in /var/ftp/pub. Deleted and have a whole bunch of space left on my primary partition. BTW, I have no idea why the install would allocate such a small partition to hda1 ... only 7.7 gig on a 160 gig HD. Guess I should have done some manual adjustments when doing the install and not relied on the defaults.

I think I need to rebuild the rpm database. When I reset things via the control center I get some odd reports about database files being the wrong size. I think I read somewhere about deleting a database file to fix this???

I always use 10GB for / and the rest I allocate to /home, with the exception of 1GB for swap.

Just do this for the rpm database, maybe it'll fix it:

urpmi.update -a

and if not, chances are it's because it's still pointing to the area where you removed all the files from when you copied them to the hard disk. If so, do this:

urpmi.removemedia -a

and then visit the easyurpmi link at the top of this page to get access to loads and loads of packages (about 15,000).