Mandriva 2007 USB Wireless Connection

Nooob

First time user, first post... please be kind!

I have browsed forums for my problem, solution, no luck.

D-link USB DWL-G122

Netgear WGR 614

Mandriva 2007 - new full install

Athlon 1.8 GHz

384MB Memory

Have both link light and activity light on the USB dongle. Turned OFF WEP 128bit at the AP.

Did the following:

Control Center, Network Internet, Set Up New, Wireless, ANI802.11g WLAN Adapter, Network=Home (my ssid), Operating Mode=Managed, Encryption Mode=None, Automatic IP, Get DNS from DHCP, Assign Host name from DHCP, Allow Users to Manage, Start at boot, Allow AP Roaming, Start now=yes, Congratulations...

Control Center, Wireless Connection:

SSID=Home

Signal Strength = 2 bars

Unlocked

Encryption= blank

Operation Mode= blank

Click connect button, no change.

Control Center, Monitor Net Connections

I am sending and receiving packets.

Click Connect WiFi button = verify config in Control Center. Kills send and receive.

I am unable to get an IP address, gateway, or internet connection.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Brad.

Good news...

I'm typing this from my Firefox browser on my Mandriva 2007 box!!!!!!!

After trying everything I could think of, I noticed a message run past the boot screen. Said that "roaming" was invalid...

So, I reconfigured my network in MCC and unchecked "Allow AP roaming" and bingo!

If anyone can tell me how to save a boot log, I would really appreciate it. There are a couple things going on that I need to see.

sorry that i don't have enough experience with wireless to give you some advice on the configuration. however, i do want to note that having AP roaming off is -always- a good idea. Leaving it on could leave your computer open to attacks, because a person with malicious intent could have their computer fake being an AP and your system may automatically connect to it if there is no encryption and it's completely open. Not very common, but still, you wanna be safe :)

Also, I would suggest using an encryption of WPA (or WPA2, if possible) and possibly making a MAC Access List. WEP encryption is so easy to crack it's practically equal to no encryption - it can be cracked in 5 minutes or less.