Trying to load Quake4

Rowan

I am trying to load Quake4 into 2006 Power pack and I am having problems with accessing my disc drives. The first disk is read OK and I can copy over the required files but when I try to access discs 2-4 I get the answer that ¨Could not enter folder /mnt/cdrom¨. When I go through the Home folder to mnt the disc drive icon has a padlock over it and I get the answer ¨You do not have enough permissions to read file:///mnt/cdrom¨. I have previously been able to copy over and play Doom3 quite ok so I am at a loss as to why I am not allowed to access these discs.

Is anybody able to offer any explanation as to what might be causing this headache and why ? I have not changed any access permissions.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Makes it any diffrent if you copy the installer script to your HDD and run it from there?

I think he would have already used the installer, you just download and install the patch/point release, there is no Linux installer on the disc as far as I know, you then have to copy over the required .pk4 files to your install directory. I think his is where he is having trouble, he can not access the files on the other discs, to copy them over.

What if you try copying the files over as root, what I do when I need to be root to copy/edit etc anything is, I have a shortcut I call 'KingKonq', which basically opens up konqueror as root, I then do what I have to do, all in GUI.

• 2 weeks later...

I have previously installed Quake4 by going ¨Run¨ then entering ¨kdesu Konqueror¨ and that allowed me to copy over the necessary files but I then had to log in the same way to play the game - that got a little tedious at times and I still couldn't figure out why discs 2,3 & 4 would not read. I think that I will just give up on the problem because I have retried other multi-disc games and I was able to read all their discs.

Thanks for the thought anyway.

Makes it any diffrent if you copy the installer script to your HDD and run it from there?

I think he would have already used the installer, you just download and install the patch/point release, there is no Linux installer on the disc as far as I know, you then have to copy over the required .pk4 files to your install directory. I think his is where he is having trouble, he can not access the files on the other discs, to copy them over.

What if you try copying the files over as root, what I do when I need to be root to copy/edit etc anything is, I have a shortcut I call 'KingKonq', which basically opens up Konqueror as root, I then do what I have to do, all in GUI.

Well, If you can copy the files over by using the kdesu konqueror thing again, you can then just navigate to the quake4 folder while still in the 'root' konqueror mode, right click on the Quake4 folder, select the 'Permissions' tab, and change the ownership to your user name, and then you should be able to fire up Quake4 no problems, without having to log in as root etc all the time.

I know this is probably not the 'correct' way, or the 'Linux' way, but it's easy and it works just fine. You could go through the konsole/terminal and type in all that chmod whaterver goobldygook, but I myself prefer the easy old right click and change while in a root konqueror, too easy.

[edit] Which is not to say that learning all the CLI stuff isn't a good thing, on the contrary, it would be most beneficial, and recommended, and is something I plan to do over the course of time, and I have guides/references ready to look up if need be. But for me, and for now, if something can be done easily in a familiar way, eg, GUI, that's how I'll tend to do it.

Edited by jagwah

Hi,

I ve been playing Quake 3 and 4 as well as doom3 for a while on linux,

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/a...hp?storyid=1738

installs quake4 for you in your home directory and then you copy all the pak files in your /q4base directory. Then it s all a question of trial and error by editing the Quake4config.cfg file to alter drivers etc... but even without doing so it should work.

I ve used that link as well :

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/

And founf it useful.

is that any help?

Stef

Edited by sjaglin@yahoo.co.uk