Crossover/Wine Problems with Mandriva 2007

manf0001

Hello there,

I have just purchased the new Mandriva 2007 PowerPack Linux and everything seems to work right, except I'm having problems with either Wine/Crossover Office 5.0.3 or the Beta 6 Version. They all seem to have the same issues.

First Problem is that after I install it and attempt to run it, by

> double clicking on an .exe file, mandriva will come up asking me which

> program to use, and I select Install Windows Program selection and tell

> it to remember my choice for other file types, and it will not remember

> it. I know that at this point it would seem like a problem with

> Mandriva's system, but when I go into configure crossover and select the

> advanced option and turn on the option "Launch all .exe files using

> Crossover" and apply it. and close out. I will then try to run an .exe

> file by double clicking on it and the same things happen. When I go

> back into the Advanced options the "Launch all .exe files using

> Crossover" option is unselected.

It seems also that Mandriva does not save your selection for file type associations

>

> The second problem is that it seems that the file associations aren't

> working with other programs, when I try to open a file for a program

> that is installed via crossover, ie. a Word Document in MS Word 2003, I

> always have to select Word from the window that asks me what program to

> use, and again when I tell it to remember my choice and it doesn't.

>

> The Third and Final problem (Mainly Beta 6 version) that I have found is that when I install

> games such as war craft 3, star trek Elite Force (Quake 3 Engine).

> Bridge Commander, It will install from the "install windows program"

> option, but then when I go to play it, it asks me to insert the CD for

> that game, which is already insterted and mounted, it just doesn't

> recognize it.

I even emailed Jermy White CEO of Codeweavers to let him know about it, and he responded with this:

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with Mandriva; I'm especially sorry

given that we're dropping official testing for Mandriva with 6.0.

Mandriva has just gotten to be too different, and has too few users

right now, for us to be able to keep up with it, I'm afraid.

Any Help would be great. Thank You, I'm using KDE environment

Mike

Edited by manf0001

Strange how he thinks there's not many people using Mandriva. However, I use it without problems.

Go into your crossover menu, and choose the install windows software option. This is how you should be running installers, and not associating them.

And if you want to be running games, you should be using cedega. You're unlikely to get them working with wine, or even Crossover. Crossover is effectively wine made a lot easier, but it's not cedega.

And wine has gotten much easier, and working much better with new releases. So chances are, people who don't use Crossover, have been able to get it working with wine and don't need to pay for something that they know they can get working other ways.

I know that runnign the Install Windows Software option does work. however even when I do that and lets say install Office it installs just fine, but If I were to double click on a word file it will not open word, Mandriva will ask me to what program to use, and I always have to navigate to the Windows Installed Programs menu and select word. and even if I tell Mandriva to remember my choice for all files of this type, it will show me that it save the configuration but next time I try to open it, it does the exact same thing.

With the games portion, Cedega does handle the games I realize but, I've tested the Crossover Beta 6 on my friends Suse machine and it will install and run games that Cedega can't. Plus I've found out as well that the games Cedega does support, Crossover Beta 6 handles it much better.

It's just that with the problems I'm having in Crossover or even wine, other Linux Distros' handle it much better. I think if I just figured out the File Association Problem (even with just opening a word file to have it open word) I'll be happy, as I convinced my wife to move to linux (she hates Open Office) And I don't want to move to another Distro. Mandriva has things that I like about it. and I've had troubles setting up other distros

Go into the crossover configuration option, and check the file associations. Chances are this is why. I had to ensure these were enabled for word documents to open with word. Sometimes you have to right click, and go into the open with option to see word/openoffice, etc, etc.

A normal way to run an executable, is in the format of:

wine "c:\program files\programdir\program.exe"

that's how I do it, rather than associating exe's to wine.

Go into the crossover configuration option, and check the file associations. Chances are this is why. I had to ensure these were enabled for word documents to open with word. Sometimes you have to right click, and go into the open with option to see word/openoffice, etc, etc.

The file associations are set in Crossover for it. and when I Right click on the file and go to open with, there is nothing there.

It's like I'm banging my head on a brick wall :wall: trying to get things to work just right

I had a thought... I had updated my Kernel from 2.6.17-5mdv to 2.6.17-6mdv. And that actually seemd to help with the Word File association settings, where I now see it when I right click on it and select open with.. and the Word option is there, I select it and it will open up. Even when i double click on it, it will now open Word right away. Now if only I can get the exe files to work the same way

• 1 year later...

got the same problems in the new (not thaaat new) mandriva 2008 powerpack and the codeweavers crossover professional 6.2

the file association issue just like you described it. but here the kernel is updated and still doesn't work properly.

somebody have any idea how to solve this?

thanks! best regards!

Hendry

I have been using Crossover office (ver 5.0.3 Pro) on Mandrake 9.2 and 10.1 systems, and now use ver 6.0 Pro on my MDV 2008.0 laptop with no problems. In all cases, I installed cx office as user, in my home dir. My understanding is that file associations are handled by KDE or Gnome, so you need deal with the problem by editing KDE/Gnome settings.

For installing/removing programs, go to KDE-> CrossOver -> Install Windows Software. Make sure you check Codeweavers database of supported apps. If the application is not fully supported, it's hit and miss. For instance, OrCAD PSpice did not work under CXoffice 5.0.3, but works well under version 6. I think, full office support is still at a level of MS Office 2000. If you want to use MS Office XP or 2003, it will work most of the time, but help will not work.

got the same problems...

the file association issue just like you described it. but here the kernel is updated and still doesn't work properly.

There's an article at Linux.com that talks about this.

Basically, add this line to /etc/fstab:

none   /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc  binfmt_misc  defaults 0 0

And add this line to /etc/rc.local:

echo ':DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/bin/wine:' > /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register