Photo/Printing app?

bvc

http://www.easysw.com/~mike/flphoto/

This is all I could find (sourceforge and freshmeat). Works good but is very limited in its template/sizes;

1 image

2 images

4 images

What do you use for printing photos?

gimp would be fine for me if it supported the hpijs driver but my wife wouldn't learn the gimp anyway.

Talk about standard...am I missing something here? Why aren't there 3 to choose from off the cd's like there's 3 of everything else? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sometimes you have to search with goole or on rpmfind.net, will help.

if you don't like the gimp, here are some others I found:

under LGPL: http://afterstep.sourceforge.net/afterimag.../afterimage.php

http://www.ntlug.org/~ccox/impress/Main.html

Maybe there are some others. Ok, they aren't so good as photshop maybe, you'll have to see what you want for yourself. I agree that "The Gimp" is not easy to use, but once you know how to...to my opninion it's getting powerfull, certainly with all those plugins. If it is your printer-driver, look at the xtra packages for the gimp like stated above and install those if you haven't

If I am looking to print at a professional level, I have to boot another OS to use photoshop. But if I just need to print a photo I find the gimp or whatever web browser prints things just fine to my HP 940c, its just off a bit on the size for some reason.

I eagerly await some development in this area, along with hoping someday to be able to use my HP scanjet 3300c in Linux.

Just something about hp-printers I've read and maybe interest you what is supported(maybe more):

The hp driver project provides printing support for more than 150 printer models, including, DeskJet, OfficeJet, Photosmart, Business Inkjet and some LaserJet.

The hp Linux Inkjet Driver Project is a add-on to the GNU Ghostscript application. For more information on the interaction between Ghostscript and the hp Inkjet Server (HPIJS), refer to the driver architecture (new interface in V. 1.0).

Thanks for the replies but...

1. Epsons C82 and C62 are horrible and I'm not spending more money or time on epson; http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...t=3653&start=15

2. The hpijs is by far the best driver for my printer and doesn't work with gimp-print. (can't find the links right now tp prove it)

3. I like the gimp for what it is, but aside from the above compatability issue, my wife isn't going to, nor do I expect her, to learn it. It is not a "photo printing" app. Neither is afterimage or impress....thanks for the links though. I'll have to try them to be sure they don't have templates ect..

Yes, HP has done a fine job with the hpijs. I'm thankful for their linux suport with printers.

Maybe I should explain a little better.....aps come with cameras to drag and drop or insert photos on to templates (sheets) PhotoImpressions, HP PhotoSmart ect....say you want 4 3.5x5's or 2 5x7's or 2 4.6's and a 3.5x5. This is ultimately what a windows to linux women needs. Does anyone know of such an animal. Is it true that Photoshop works in wine? She half knows how to use Photoshop Elements (beginners photoshop). I'm googling on this rt now.

Thanks again for the input!

:)

I use TurboPrint, and get excellent output. However, lots of times, I'll edit the photo in The GIMP, save it to a smartmedia card, stick the card into my HP and print it from the card (I don't have the photo printer connected to any computers, actually)

I don't understand all this Epson bashing. Epson has been very good about supposting Linux.

Anyway, I've got lots of photos that printed very nicely with my Epson C80 from Corel Photopaint 9 for Linux (hey, it's easier to deal with than the Gimp...) They look better than ones my brother printed on his new H-P from Winshaft XP. Sorry, forgot the model number, but that H-P cost about double the $150 C80 did a year ago.

BTW, I just bought another C80. Micro center has them factory refurbished for $69.95 - a helluva deal!

Long time Crashdamage...hope all is well! You can see from the link above that I've given epson more than a chance. Screwed around with 2 different models in one week and $30 in paper. It's not like I don't know what I'm doing or I don't know what quality is. I work for a graphic co. and one of my responsibilities is sifting through a job to find the best samples to send a client that just spent 20k to 60k in paper and ink (per say), and we print ads for the biggest magazines in the world. No, this doesn't mean I'm too picky either.. :wink: I guess one mans junk is anothers gold...or something like that :wink:

All I can say is everyone who looks at the photos that Epson C80 puts out are impressed with the quality for the price. They certainly look good to me, far better than prints from the H-P 912 it replaced. My dad spent over 40 years in commercial photography and printing, and he was impressed enough that he asked me to pick one up - the refurbished one I bought was for him. Seems Epsons always get good revues, too.

I my business, we print thousands of digital photos a year, mostly on a H-P 4550 color LaserJet, but when we need better output than a color laser can do, we fall back on a couple of 6-color Epson inkjets. We get really nice output and the ink cost is lower than other inkjets. The Epsons have served us very well.

Now I've no experience with the newest Epsons or the 82 or 62 in particular and for all I know they might be junk, but given all this, and yeah, I know you know what you're doing, but I gotta think there must be something else going on here, some kinda driver or setup problem...

No, it's the product....epson even admitted it on the phone. :roll:

printerdrake found them and the specific drivers just fine and so did the gimp. I also tried alternate drivers that other users claimed to work better (google). I tried diff papers as well as that can make a big diff.

*sigh* :(