Toshiba 2435-S255 vs mdk9.1

Guest jvslice

Guest jvslice

Hopefully I posted to the correct forum - If not please transfer to install problems (don't want to post twice)

Just bought a new laptop Toshiba 2435-S255

P4 2.4 Ghz

512 Meg Ram

40 G hard drive

GeForce4 420Go graphic card

DVD/CDR combo TEAC DW-224E

Laptop has APCI and a phoenix BIOS - No selection for plug and play

Initially installed with WinXP home

Was hoping to use mdk9.1RC2 and dual boot, Note: the iso's for RC 2 has been perviously used on a different box with no problems

The laptop initially boots off of the CD, but hen I press "return" to load the kernel and start installation, the screen goes blank and does nothing. Tried text install, but stalls during "Uncompressing Linux OK, Loading kernel."

I next tried mdk 9.0, just to see if I had a problem with my iso's or RC.2 same problem.

Next tried Knoppix 3.1 and new 3.2 - same problem

Next - Redhat 8.0 - no go, but Redhat 8.0.93 works- did not complete the install, since I wanted to test the new NTFS part. tool in mandrake.

I next visited the mandrake club to see if there was any information (yes I am a member). Found a message about 9.1 installation (3/14/03) discussing acpi needed on some laptops but the documentation does not cover this.

Questions

1. Does RC2 include acpi support, or do I need to wait until 9.1 Final

2. If it does how do I use it

thanks in advance

Have you been to www.linux-on-laptops.com? Although your model may not be listed under the Toshiba link, there may be a model similar to yours which may be of help.

For example, I have the Toshiba Satellite 5205-S703, so I would look at any of the 5xx5 models: 5005-S507, 5105, etc.

Hope this helps a little. Since there are so many brands and models of laptops, and since linux is by and large harder to completely install on a laptop, it may be that there is no member in this forum with your make and model to give you tips, and you may have to search elsewhere.

Wishing you good luck!

Richard L.