Ipod [solved]

AussieJohn

This request is to aid a lady Mandriva2007 user.

She has just received an IPOD for Christmas. She is not connected to the internet and will not be for at least the next 2 months and I keep her up to date with Mandriva2007 updates.

She wants to delete the mp3s that came with it (not her taste) and to upload her own mp3s music but it asks Windows SP4 for Windows 2000.

She has Win2000 but prefers not to want to use but tried to use the ipod in it. She does not want me to download SP4 for her (she has SP3 already) since we all know that SP4 includes phone home to Microsoft and since she is not on the internet then it won't di its whatever and she doesn't want to be bothered with all that garbage.

I believe there is a couple of Linux or opensource programs that can overcome the ipod setup.

While not strictly Linux (or maybe it is) any help would be appreciated.

Cheers. John.

First things first Christmas is not for a few more days.. Why she opening the presents now..

Anyway..

I think amarok is the program you are looking for i think it has drag and drop ability to the IPOD.. I dont actually have one but that is the menu on the amarok..

Item on the bottom left Media device.

Click the configure button "Not sure what you put here" then it should work..

Look up ipods and Amarok

Dont worry i have opened my presents as well.. New 64Bit Dual Core PC..

First things first Christmas is not for a few more days.. Why she opening the presents now..

That's critical, has someone filed a bug?

For windows, just google, there's countless applications she can use to copy music to and from the ipod. Google and you'll find some to try in no time.

James

Thanks. I didnt't realise that Amarok could handle the Ipod. I prefer XMMS for my needs but I did install Amarok on her machine because she liked the look of it. However she hadn't gotten around to using it yet. She is going to try it tonight when she gets home from work (doing two jobs).

I might try to install the other program mentioned and see how it works for future reference for others.

Cheers. John.

Thanks eric.

Yamipod may be OK but for an inexperienced Linux user it is not good to have to run the install procedure required. You and I could cope with it but a real noobie is unlikely to.

The lady in question called last night and said she found that Amarok seems to do what she wants.

I installed gtkpod on my computer so when she visits we can try it out. It looks pretty good from initial appearences.

I think we can mark this one solved.

I finally got around to trying out my new ipod, (it's been sitting around waiting for me to take it out of it's box for about a week) I am using Amarok with the 'ipodslave' plugin thing a ma bob, seems to work fine, I uploaded 5 cd's worth of mp3's to it without any problems, easy as really, just waiting for it to fully charge as per instructions.

Should make my daily walks more enjoyable, that is when I restart after xmas/new year, going to have to walk a bit faster/longer though to work off the extra padding that seems to accumulate this time of year ;)