no keyboard in KDE [solved]

orts

Hey.

today I should out of the house for a couple of hours and needed to update my Mandriva 2007, so I wrote

urpmi --auto-select --auto

In the konsole and went away, when I came home I could see that my KDE was updated to version 3.5.5 from MDE, but I couldn't see all that was updatet.

But how ever I shut down the PC 'cause I shouldn't use it for a couple of hours, then when I should use it again, I couldn't log in because my keyboard won't start.

I really hope you can help me.

Tell me which I files I have to find and where to change.

But forst of all, is it possible to shift to GDM and GNOME by changing in some files when I'm in failsafe? If yes where?

be cause I dont know how paste other files in this board when I'm in failsafe, and I really don't hope that I have to reinstall Mandriva again, I did it just this friday ( because I didn't use my head)

Regards

Henrik

Add this line to [General]

ServerVTs=-7

in /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc

It was already there.

Is it possible to change from KDM login screen to GDM anywhere when I'm in failsafe?

I don't know which file to edit to select kdm or gdm but maybe it can be done in the mandrica control center, most functions work under safe mode to but not all, try mcc.

I could not change from KDM to GDM in mcc in failsafe.

But I did uninstall kde, move xorg.conf to another location and now I can login to Gnome, but with a keyboard that isn't reliable, it does now and then type something els than supposed to :o

So I'll try to reinstall kde 3.5.4 and the next time I'll run an auto update, it will be without the MDE repositority.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Henrik

Now I have a KDE 3.5.4 installed and it's working about 90%, and it's only 90% because I don't have a danish keyboard, no it is a english setup and that pretty annoying, and more words than usually in KDe is in english not so iritating than th english keyboard.

I have installed kde-i18n-da-3.5.4-1mdv2007.0

any one who has an idea to solve this problem?

I have checked the setup in MCC language selection and in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and both places it's set to danish ( da and DK)

Is there any more places to look? then please tell me.

And please be pacient with me I'm haven't been using linux for very long

Sorry, both my ears are warm and lightning red right now :woops:

I only needed a reboot and my keyboard was working just fine again.

You can set this to solved.

Thanks for this great site.

• 1 year later...

I don't even know what KDE version I am on, only know this morning keyboard was just plain dead, as told here, only on my account, only in KDE.

After deleting all X, Qt and kde configuration files I found, it was still the same. Then it occurred to me to open kcontrol from Gnome, and in Session manager I disabled previous session restoration. I killed kde, restarted with a clean new session, and problem was solved.

Hope this is of some use.