'06 or '07?

Urza9814

So I'm gonna be coming across some large new hard drive real estate soon (getting a new 300GB drive) along with a 64bit AMD CPU and 2 more GB of RAM. I've been having some trouble with Mandriva (the c preprocessor stuff I posted a while back), and I'm thinking it's mostly a result of constantly reinstalling on top of existing installations. I've decided that the best thing to do is reformat and reinstall and hope I can get everything back to the way it is now fairly quickly.

Anyways, I am currently running on 2006, and am fairly happy with it's performance, so I'm wondering if I should upgrade to 2007. Mandriva seems to me (and I've had others confirm these thoughts) to have a good distro every other year, so I'm wondering if 2007 is REALLY better than 2006 (9.2 ran so much better on my comp than 10.2)

The other thing I'm wondering about is what exactly the deal is with 64 bit CPUs. I haven't really done much research into them, just enough to know that 64 bit apps get the best boost, but 32 bit programs will still run better. Anyways, how's Mandriva's 64 bit support? Will it work just as well as 32 bit? Basically, any information you can give me about 64 bit CPUs would be great :) I was gonna just get a better Athlon XP, but it turns out I can get a 64bit Athlon and a new mobo to support it for a lower price per GHz. And the new mobo should allow me to use this GB chip of high density RAM I've had laying around for a few months! :P

Edited by Urza9814

I find 2006 works on pretty much all hardware I've tried. I get problems with 2007 on some hardware, and have to fix a few things that I never had to do before with previous releases. And even with said fix, it still doesn't always do what it's supposed to do (shut down properly that is).

But I still like it in terms of apps and stuff.

Well 2007.1 is just round the corner and it seems a pattern with Mandriva that following iffy releases (which 2007 seems to be) they actually do a great job on the next release. If you plan on 2006 and try 2007.1 and it works its a bonus..if you set your heart on 2007 and it doesn't work for your hardware (specially when its new) it can be dissapointing.

With 10.0 and 10.1 the hardware issues swapped over... so 2007.1 might be the same... so I'd say plan on 2006 and leave partitions to try newer ones until one of them works with your hardware.

Both are great, both are painful. Depending on your hardware. That said, I recommend to just test both thoroughly and then settling on the one that works best.

Truer words were never spoken. My experience is the exact opposite of ian's right down to the shutdown issue. I couldn't get mdv2006 to shutdown, no problem with mdv2007 on one box. Mdv2006 works perfectly to this day on an Acer centrino laptop with intel integrated graphics. It all depends on your hardware IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

2006 was solid, 2007 occasionally freezes for (some) keyboard input and mouse events. I can switch desktops so my windowmanager still listens, move to a console and Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc, but virtually nothing else works. No idea why but it happens at least every other day. For the rest: have got some major packages upgraded to more recent version (Xfce) which would be diffuclt (for me) from 2006. Also dkms/nvidia failed on me, this time such that even all accumulated experience (quite something since 10.0 I believe with dkms) couldn't get it to work). Then again the install of Nvidia's latest driver from their website worked like a charm.

By now I tend to agree with the more seasoned sysadmins -- why change if it aint broken?