XFree86 chaos

Guest ndeb

These sorts of problems could be more troublesome than whether or not Mandrake listens to their users. The techie world lives without gui, but the majority of users like gui, which is why microbrains is still successful. If the gui world in linux does not advance past micromodules, then why would the average user consider linux?

Not incorperating patches from a company willing to submit them is as thoughtless as Mandrake not listening or supporting their users. And "splintering" should be done cautiously. After all, this board was accused of "splintering" in the early days, although in our case, one can hardly "splinter" non-existant feed-back and support. :wink:

In fact, if X is brushed up nicely, a lof of graphics on linux/unix will become really fast. Its surprising that XFree does not have any bugzilla, most of their lists (including) Xpert are closed now. These folks are going backwards.

I find it disturbing that the development of such a crucial element of linux (and other OSes) is being held hostage by the XFree organization. I always wondered why ATI pulled out of supporting them directly but now I think I know. If the XFree organization is not willing to accept new programmers and show some focus then they shouldn't be surprised when the project splinters.

Glitz.