Newbie trying to install 2007 - graphics [solved]

Guest TobyF

Hi Mandriva Users,

I'm a complete linux newbie trying to learn the OS by setting up a dual boot XP/ Mandriva 2007 system.

I have an eVGA 7800GT video card. When I tried the PC Linux OS and Ubuntu Dapper Drake live CDs, I always had to boot them in 'safe graphics' mode.

When I went to install Mandriva, I got as far as the Configuration screen, and clicked on the graphics option. It had recognised my video card and 19" NEC CRT with no problems, and selected a 1280x1024 24-bit desktop. When I clicked on the 'Test' button, though, I got a blank grey screen with a mouse cursor, and could not find any way of escaping the screen. I eventually hit reboot, which meant my installation was incomplete.

It has installed LILO perfectly, and I can still boot into XP with no problems (thankfully). I would now like to retry the installation, and am hoping for a little bit of help.

1) Firstly, if anyone can explain why linux may not overly like my video card, and what are the best steps to take about this (remembering I haven't ever used linux before, save for messing around with live CDs), it would be grealty appreciated,

2) and secondly, will re-starting the install risk messing up LILO?

Many thanks.

Sorry, perhaps I should have also mentioned that I am installing the free 32-bit version (though on an AMD X2 4500+) from the all-in-one DVD.

I would suggest what you do when configuring your screen is to configure it as VESA during install. That way, you get a basic graphics, you can finish the install, and then work at configuring the screen properly once you've got a full install.

That way, if the screen doesn't work after install, you can just drop to a console and reconfigure it from there.

And no, shouldn't screw lilo. I've swapped between lilo and then grub, and back to lilo again and never had a problem.

Thanks greatly ianw1974,

I reinstalled and selected the VESA driver.

The good news is LILO is fine.

The bad news is Mandrake boots to a screen which flicks between black and blue forever and never brings up the desktop (in both normal boot and nonfb - which I don't know what it stands for). No error messages (though I wasn't in verbose mode for the normal boot). The failsafe mode dumps me in command prompt with no problems.

The install was selecting my video card as just 'Geforce 7 series', and it looks like the eVGA isn't in its database like the other big video card brands.

Any help much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Helmut, on a recommendation I tried PCLinuxOS (Mandriva based) and that worked like a charm. Entered it in a safe graphics mode and then installed the lateset nVidia drivers and everything is OK.

Thanks,

TobyF.