Mandriva 2007.1 snapshot to come

arctic

"The Mandriva development team has announced early details about the upcoming release of an interim version - Mandriva Linux 2007.1. According to David Barth, the first Cooker snapshot will be released in the form of installable ISO images later this week.

It will include all the security and bug fix updates for version 2007, the newest stable KDE 3.5, the latest development build of GNOME 2.17, Firefox 2.0, and a major rewrite of urpmi. This release will be the first one with GRUB as the distribution's default boot loader, while the external storage devices will now be mounted on /media instead of /mnt. One more piece of good news: "Mandriva Online improvements (client and server), some rumors even say that it may become a free service." Interested testers should keep an eye on Mandriva's download mirrors during this week!"

Source: distrowatch and Linux Wizard

I hope this true and we have a Mandriva that does not require any entrys into the install menu before installing.

I think the realisation is finally sinking in that lilo, while very good, is now become a bit of a dinasaur. I also hope they add the option back into MCCs Software install for the rpms to be listed alphabetically. The present system is fine for a total newbie but for me it is time wasting since I learnt the older way and found it to be quick to find an rpm.

This is certainly good news.

Cheers. John.

To upgrade from mdv 2007 to 2007.1

Do you think it is just going to be a case of put CD in, go to upgrade menu, deal with a few *.rpmnew and that is it?

Thanks

Good question....

The problem is the simpler they make it the more problems people will have...if it doesn't go quiet as planned...

Given the state of 2007 you'd think if it was just a case of "deal with a few *.rpmnew" then they would be already doing it online...

I also hope they add the option back into MCCs Software install for the rpms to be listed alphabetically. The present system is fine for a total newbie but for me it is time wasting since I learnt the older way and found it to be quick to find an rpm.

That more or less describes the whole of Mandriva.... it seems progressively dumbed down or removing confusing options depending how you look at it. Personally I far far preferred the old 8.x install/remove... but apparently it was impossible to rewrite in PERL (that was the excuse at the time for disregarding the vast majority of testers) but really it was just another take away options/make it less confusing ...

It probably does make it less confusing... but at the same time you loose functionaility ?? or have to run two different progs to achieve what one used to do.

IMHO its really a reflection of the general move to a Microsoft type OS where tasks are wizard driven...

i.e. What do you want to do? vs what do you want to install.... ?

Much as I see why the former looks attractive, especially to n00bs its an unfortunate and it seems imutable fact that this always ends up reducing flexibility and forcing a steeper learning curve after the initial one...

i.e. wizrds sound great....

what do you want to do?

Share my internet connection....

OK ... whiz...dload/whizz

cool

then 3 hours later they wonder why something else isn't working... have no idea they just installed a firewall etc.

the irony of course being that the more experience you have the less hassle this causes you (its not that hard to fix if you understand what it did) but then the less useful the wizard driven install is compared to the user driven one.

To upgrade from mdv 2007 to 2007.1

Do you think it is just going to be a case of put CD in, go to upgrade menu, deal with a few *.rpmnew and that is it?

Thanks

Who knows? I guess we simply have to wait and see if Mandriva will give some answers on that or if we have to find that out ourselves.

I don't expect it will be a major problem. You're only upgrading from 2007.0 to 2007.1 The packages aren't going to be major release changes, like say going from 2006 to 2007.

For one, KDE will still be 3.5.x, not like going from KDE 3.4 in 2006 to KDE 3.5 in 2007.

In theory you can upgrade from Mandrake 10.1 to the latest release, but of course, some problems can be expected, and some not. I've done upgrades from 10.0 to LE2005. And this can be more problematic than upgrade from 10.1, and it worked perfectly fine. Main issue was devfsd.

So, I don't foresee a problem upgrading to 2007.1. You might even find the repositories for 2007 will have it all in anyway. Effectively meaning you'll already be at 2007.1 anyhow.

I think 2007.1 will just be a good way for you to ensure that if you have to reinstall, you don't have to get all the updates from the beginning, like you had to do with 2006 or previous versions. It'll just mean you'll need the 2007.1 ISO, otherwise, you'll be installing from the first release.

I think 2007.1 will just be a good way for you to ensure that if you have to reinstall, you don't have to get all the updates from the beginning, like you had to do with 2006 or previous versions. It'll just mean you'll need the 2007.1 ISO, otherwise, you'll be installing from the first release.

Is I think answered rather well just by quoting arctic...

Who knows? I guess we simply have to wait and see if Mandriva will give some answers on that or if we have to find that out ourselves.

Im not holding my breath... this sort of info often seems to be an afterthought...?

But in the end it makes a huge difference to people with 2007 installed who are having prob's....

I don't actually *use* Mandriva though i have 2006 and 2007 installed ...

2006 works, 2007 doesn't but since I only use it for helping people I don't actually have any data or anything important in it... so for me its trivial... I installed 2007 ... rebooted and it didn't work, end of line for me... so I can just overwrite it with a clean 2007.1. However for those who it didn't work and they invested a lot of time getting nearly working... this is a big issue.. risk and upgrade or risk a re-install.

Neither is good or bad, IMHO it depends on each persons situation, time invested and what data they have in use. So I'd say each individual should carefully look at these issues and whcih is better for them.

It woulnd't be "Gowatorial" if I didn't sling a bit of mud at Mandriva .... but this mud comes with a backhanded compliment ....and is in the form of a question....

Don't Mandriva actually realise that people *use* Mandriva.

If I didn't rabbit on verbosly it wouldn't be Gowatorial either....

So what do I mean by this?

Well Mandriva can be a fine OS... but Mandriva don't always seem aware people are *using* it....

As a Kanotix user I expect this... its a "testing" distribution based on unstable... and sometimes the keeping up to date to contribute can be a bit onerus ... Kano once demanded I upgrade (and a big one across XFree->xorg and dbus).... and I explained I wasn't going to risk it because anything not working would be a disaster... it was tax declaration time ... Im going through a complex legal battle and need to be able to print/scan and stuff... I simply can't afford for it not to work, its not like I have windows with all my data on... and linux is just a game... its my OS... and rather critical and not having it for a day or two is like being a taxi driver without a car!

Mandriva seems to take a similar attitude... in that they don't seem to acknowledge people are actually using the distro seriously, not just for fun.... or as a second system?

I think Mandriva have to wake up to this fact ? Take stock and say "we are building a fine distro and people are relying on it"

One thing Kanotix (and now sidux) does is upgrade news... (The deepest level upgrade in Debian is a dist-upgrade where basically you can go from stable to unstable or visa versa... ) and because of the nature of unstable sometimes this can break things hence both these sites have daily reports... "Don't dist-upgrade today" or "If you dist-upgrade today xx will break and doing yy will fix it"

IMHO Mandriva desperately needs this..(or similar). but it seems stuck between not wanting to admit there might be problems and fixing them?

2007 seems to have a huge amount of problems, exasperated it seems by urpmi being somewhat broken ...

but what is important IMHO is that they clearly document what the 2007.1 is... or is not... and let people decide ..

I have a simple decision, 2007 installed and didn't work.. I didn't touch it after that.. so I know I'll just take the 2007.1 image when its released and try that but its not my primary OS .. I can afford to just blindly reinstall!

If it was my primary OS... what I would want to know is what will 2007.1 BE? Should I keep trying to update or should I think a fix is roundd the corner so I'll wait.

I expect 2007.1 will actually be quite good.... again a critique and compliment here but Mandriva releases seem like yoyo's.... X works... x+1 breaks, x+2 works again ? They can obviously do it... they just seem to drop the ball? and instead of working on incremental improvements and fixes seem to throw the baby out with the bathwater... each time. (a bit like how there's always a new kenny in southpark where the whole idea of Kenny is he's just the generic poor kid so when he dies there's always another)....

This point release is IMHO a good step in that direction but its missing the information people need to decide ....

There are some 2.6.18 kernels in the repository, marked as kernel-tmb, and there is even a 2.6.12.12 kernel. Of course, I don't expect helps unless there is a way to choose what kernel to boot prior to install in the first place.

There are some 2.6.18 kernels in the repository, marked as kernel-tmb, and there is even a 2.6.12.12 kernel. Of course, I don't expect helps unless there is a way to choose what kernel to boot prior to install in the first place.

This isn't the first worry... in such 2.6.17.X systems you can just turn the system on, and have the harddisks recognized by booting from the CD and using

linux irqpoll

It works under Slackware, (K)Ubuntu, Debian Sid... you can install the system just fine with 2.6.17.X that way.

The real problem (at least with the controller in mind- Jmicron dual SATA/PATA controller) is AFTER installation, as there are loads of harddisk I/O errors, and you may even not have enough time to roll a vanilla 2.6.18 kernel before something craps out...

But if you have enough time (and luck) to urpmi the 2.6.18.X kernel then the troubles may be over.

Edited by scarecrow

One thing Kanotix (and now sidux) does is upgrade news... (The deepest level upgrade in Debian is a dist-upgrade where basically you can go from stable to unstable or visa versa... ) and because of the nature of unstable sometimes this can break things hence both these sites have daily reports... "Don't dist-upgrade today" or "If you dist-upgrade today xx will break and doing yy will fix it"

I prefer the apt-listbugs tool in Debian. Works well. Read through the warnings and only upgrade the relevant packages if you are sure it won't kill your box.