Can't Configure "configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0)"

Ok, man I have been working on this for a whole day now and no matter what I do I can't get this thing working. I have been trying to compile 2 things since yesterday evening and I keep having the same problem.

I have done everything I can think of, I have read every forum, and tried everything but I still get the same error every time I try a /configure.

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!

I have everything I need installed it looks like. Qt3, Qt3 Devel. I have tried everything I can think of, so I am here asking for any suggestions.

Thanks ahead of time.

Jason

I'd also do a:

rpm -qa | grep qt3

and post the output here so we can see what's installed.

[root@localhost moodin]# rpm -qa | grep qt3
libqt3-3.3.5-10.2006.SoS
qt3-common-3.3.5-10.2006.SoS

I'm not sure if this will work in Mandriva but here is how it's solved in Gentoo.

# echo $QTDIR 
/usr/lib/qt-3.*

# export QTDIR=/usr/qt/3/
# echo $QTDIR
/usr/qt/3/

HTH

Was trying this...

export QTDIR-/usr/qt/3/
bash: export: `QTDIR-/usr/qt/3/': not a valid identifier

I see why you can't compile it. I think you need the qt3 devel stuff, and you've not got it installed:

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name qt3 | grep devel
libqt3-devel
libavahi-qt3_1-devel
libqt3-static-devel
libqt3-devel
libavahi-qt3_1-devel
libqt3-static-devel
lsb-build-qt3-devel

list of qt3 packages available with devel in their name. I think you need the libqt3-devel package. Of course, this is the list of packages available in Mandriva 2007, but I see your using the SoS packages. So, I guess you need to check them and get the stuff installed you need to compile. You always need devel packages for compiling stuff.

Anytime you want to build something from source in Mandriva you need to be sure you have the *-devel packages for any of it's dependencies. Mandriva divides packages into just the binary (all you need to run it) and the devel packages (what you need to compile programs against it) which can sometimes make building packages from source a pain, so try to get the programs in RPM format whenever you can.

He said he had the qt-development package installed in his first post.

Yes, he did, but his rpm-qa shows that he apparently doesn't:

[root@localhost moodin]# rpm -qa | grep qt3
libqt3-3.3.5-10.2006.SoS
qt3-common-3.3.5-10.2006.SoS

maxplayer: you have to have matching *-devel packages to your actual packages. That is, since you upgraded to the qt3 packages from SoS you have to get your *-devel packages from there too. don't know if that's how you did it or not.