What's UT2003 really??

qeldroma

I don't want to install it, before beeing sure, what i get...

It is called "demo". Does it mean the same as under Windows? 30MEgs of Game, just supporting one or two levels??

Or is it a UT-client for free??

Can i play without beeing connected against bots??

the downloadable UT2003 demo for linux is a demo, not a full version, it has one or two maps for each type of game mode it has, and it is an online demo too. The full UT-client is not free, you must buy it. And the linux installer for it is on CD3 of the 3 cd set, i didn't see anywhere on the box or manual where it says u can install it on linux, but sure enough it's there. I've been playing it for 2 weeks now, it's awsome

I'm so glad I finally broke down and pieced together a new system. UT2k3 was impossibly slow before on my p3 500/geforce4 ti4200. No matter what res/detail level I set it on I was probably getting 10fps.

Now my athlon xp2100 smokes on this game, turned up the details as high as they would go and it still rocks. Only problem is it has the same damn bugs that plagued the old Unreal Tournament where keys stick (even my mouse buttons..this has me CONVINCED it's the game). No other game does this. Unreal anything = crap in my mind.

I'm so glad I finally broke down and pieced together a new system. UT2k3 was impossibly slow before on my p3 500/geforce4 ti4200. No matter what res/detail level I set it on I was probably getting 10fps.  

Now my athlon xp2100 smokes on this game, turned up the details as high as they would go and it still rocks. Only problem is it has the same damn bugs that plagued the old Unreal Tournament where keys stick (even my mouse buttons..this has me CONVINCED it's the game). No other game does this. Unreal anything = crap in my mind.

unreal 2k3 demo run fast on my 1800xp 512mb ram geforce 2 pro

soon i will have a geforce 4 so that should be better.

I never get anything like that sticking you are talking about. seems to run fine on my systems.

But i prefer the q3a engine to the unreal engine.

Yeah, I prefer the q3a engine also, and so do nearly all developers. Id is just the cornerstone of the whole FPS genre so it all fits well and has good tools/support. At any rate, I'm convinced it's my key choices that cause Unreal to screw up. I bet anybody else playing like me could reproduce it..then again, the developers seem to think it's my keyboard. Thinking about getting a different one..any suggestions are welcome. And don't say 'that gigantic abomination that is the Microsoft un-Natural keyboard'. I hate those.

My keys are like this:

Run forward: mouse 1

Run backward: mouse 2

Fire: CTRL

Alt. weapon: SHIFT

Jump: SPACE BAR

Switch weapons: TAB

Strafe left: S

Strafe right: D

One of the devs told me since I group everything on one side of the keyboard, due to the way they're designed a key isn't sending the keyup to let UT2k3 know that the key is no longer being pressed. I think this is BS and they're lazy because quake3 doesn't do this ever, and I use the same key combo plus 5 more keys for Urban Terror.

i use the common wasd-config and i´ve got no problems so far with ut2k3... in ut i had the problem that mouse1 often did stuck.

the only keybinding problem in 2k3 i´m getting is with my left-ctrl. i have "duck" binded to this key but it does strange things if i try to duck... like shooting, pausing the game etc.

My keys are like this:

Run forward: mouse 1

Run backward: mouse 2  

Fire: CTRL

Alt. weapon: SHIFT

Jump: SPACE BAR

Switch weapons: TAB

Strafe left: S

Strafe right: D

One of the devs told me since I group everything on one side of the keyboard, due to the way they're designed a key isn't sending the keyup to let UT2k3 know that the key is no longer being pressed. I think this is BS and they're lazy because quake3 doesn't do this ever, and I use the same key combo plus 5 more keys for Urban Terror.

Him i would hate that config, like all my keys on the right side of the key board.

generally my keybindings are:

up forward

down reverse

left strafe left

right strafe right

jump

right-ctrl duck

left mouse fire primary

right mouse fire secondary or change fire mode

mouse wheel change weapons

enter use/open doors

[ and ] adjust scope magnification