Where to start?

igotnoluck

hello,

well i realy don't know where to start it seems like every thing that i try to do on linux dosen't work !!!!

i have know idea where to begin and each time i try to ask for help (and i do get answer fast here :thumbs: ) i don't understand WTF do people want from me (i mean all the command and all the demands from programs or from devices)

where can i find a site / book / document for real newbs like me to let me know what all this means !!!!!!

if some one can realy help me because i realy wanto to lean linux and know how to use it but i don't know where to start ! :wall:

thanks a lot,

Nirmod

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman]

We have no idea what your level of expertise happens to be. You must tell us. If you do not understand. then tell us. Everyone here has been thru the experience of not knowing what we don't know. I recommend that you try again. The books may help, but there is nothing like hands-on experience.

Yep sometimes we dont chip into the conversation because we think it has been covered enough but if you need more help just ask..

We all have been where you are, at on stage.

With all the experience on this board you should get a good answer from one of us..

Ask again.

Tell us what you are trying to achieve, what you have tried and any errors that you may have seen.

Sorry if we talked above you, some people hate being babied also..

If you catch some of us at the right time we will walk you through the operation on IM, So help is here..

I agree with the earlier posters.

I suggest that there is no need to let yourself feel overwhelmed by LINUX.

It is not as scary as you might imagine. It is just different. In starting off, don't think you have to get into the complexities of Mandriva from day one. We have all been learning, and are still learning, but most of us do it over a long time. Ask a question. Outline your problem givng as much info as possible as to what you have tried and experienced but also make sure to tell us initially what your hardware consists of (type and brand and sizes etc). Certainly no one hear will bite your head off or put you down for fear of what you may believe is a dumb question. There is no such thing as a dumb question, only a question that requires an answer and explaination for someone.

Cheers. John.

Sorry if we talked above you, some people hate being babied also..

I, and many others, try to be as detailed as possible when I answer questions (but thanks to starting school again and work, I've been rather busy and haven't had time to help much). We've often been yelled at for 'talking down' to someone, so we tend to take a middle-of-the-road approach...not too technical and not too 'step-by-step'. When you post your question, just say something like "Please be detailed because I have no clue about many things in Linux. Don't be afraid that you'll be talking down to me." Maybe not exactly that, but enough for us to know that we have to say things like "Open a console (the little tv-screen-looking thing in the taskbar if you are using KDE desktop)..." We would love to give you the detailed help you need without you having to come back several times and ask us to explain it in more detail....less frustrating for you.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Thanks a lot you all realy helped me with my "linux break-down" and i think it passed (lets hope so) but it hard for me to start from nothing i mean i'm a windows kid for 23 years (until age 8 it was DOS) so i have no idea where to begin :D

but thanks again

Nimrod

Has fnWindows been around for 23 years? :o Where did the time go? Oh, wait a minute...... reboots and virus scans and spyware and........... :lol2:

Linux rocks! It just takes a bit of effort to find your way around it. Start reading and you will figure it out.

P.S. This forum is great, and they have bailed me out of some really tight messes.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

First thing put a note in your SIG.... complete linux n00b or similar then people get a visual hint.. sometimes its hard to know what level to aim something at :D

Linux has changed a lot.... when I leanred you got a book and CD and installed...

you had to configure everything yourself...

Now much more works straight off but that learning experience is gone...

Sometimes the more you know about windows the harder linux seems ...

its not harder, mostly its actually EASIER (because its all documented and configuration is all plain text files) but because its different you tend to think in Windows terms and this just doesn't work...

The best book depends how you want to learn...

The best DEEP END book is LFS... but its total immersion ...

Installing Gentoo is a step up... its still jumping in at the deep end but the documentation is great and it forces you to learn ...

Right at the other end of the scale are books like Linuyx for Windows users.

On the whole if you started with Mandriva 2007 you probably had bad luck...

This release seems to have a lot of problems .. traditionally Mandriva is a great N00b distro in many ways... but it shields a lot away so you don't learn... when it al works this is fine but 2007 seems a bit of a pig... so you're left between a rock and a hard place.

It might be worth considering installing 2006?