root=/dev/hda7

append="Gentoo=nodevfs"

read-only

initrd=/mnt/gentoo/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.17.13

Here's what's in boot:

localhost boot # ls

boot kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.17.13

initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.17.13 System.map-genkernel-x86-2.6.17.13

Gentoo won't boot. I get an error message that says block device 307 is unspecified or not detected. Please a device to boot or "shell" for shell.

Help please!

Edit: found the problem.

I just wanted to add that they've changed the gentoo install so much I felt like a complete n00b. I had to follow the docs closely and even then they didn't cover some of the changes they made. I had to emerge stuff I've never had to emerge before and they changed files around. It was so strange!

How come you use lilo with Gentoo? I've always used grub with Gentoo, as it was dead easy to set up.

Well, that and I was doing a raid 1 mirror too, and using grub just seemed to be easier for that as well :P

I've been using the Gentoo 2006.1 Minimal Install iso and the guide for this that works a treat. It seemed different to me, even though I only started with Gentoo 2005.1.

You had to reinstall Gentoo? Hmm... I remember that someone said "I never need to reinstall because everything works there". :rolleyes:

I second Ian. Grub is perhaps the better option.

This is marked as "solved" so I don't know if any further help is needed. However, the 307 error message probably refers to an inability to find the root filesystem on hda7. hda7 has a major number of 3 and a minor number of 7. When that occurs, it usually means the kernel was not compiled correctly to support the filesytem used in hda7. Try compiling support for the filesystem(ext3, reiserfs, etc) directly in the kernel instead of as a module.

thanks pmpatrick but it was an error with lilo that caused the problem. I found the solution through the gentoo docs. In case you've never used gentoo it is very well documented.

And arctic I learned after my install that I didn't need to reinstall. I thought I couldn't fix the problem but I had the same problem after I installed. It took quite a bit of searching (hours actually) but I found a solution that worked. If I had been more patient I wouldn't have had to do it. But it's all good. I'm back in gentoo! :D I never said Gentoo was perfect. But it's the distro for me no matter how much of a headache it causes for me. I can't imagine using anything else.

And as far as grub goes I learned to use lilo because it's the default for mandriva and mandriva was my first distro. I don't know anything about grub so I stick with what I'm comfortable with.